Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

E-Book, 309 pages
Published May 31st, 2011
HarperTeen
Starcrossed #1
Own
How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.

*MY THOUGHTS*
     Wow, ok I really don't know what to say... Besides the fact that I'm disappointed. I was expecting much more out of this book. I waited forever to buy it because I was on the fence due to all the mixed reviews, but then I went ahead and said to h*ll with it and this was my reactions to different parts of the story: BEGINNING- Ok, I like the Greek mythology mix in. MIDDLE- ZZZZZzzzzzz. (I even started reading another book in the middle of it... Which was a bad idea because it was Mara Dyer... It was wayyy better than this...) Anyways, the END- Geez, I'm not finished yet?! 
     I have to admit though, I kinda did like the ending, but I couldn't really enjoy it because I was too busy thinking about the middle and just trying to get to the last page. It took entirely too long to "get good".... I understand you're shooting for a series, but Gah lee lol And because I felt like the story was being drug out, the explanation of everything was taking too long as well. It was like the same things were happening over and over. (Ex: Helen and Lucas fight, Helen trains, Helen eats heartily). 
     But there was some things I liked about the book. The powers Helen had and the necklace was cool. Maybe I was just spoiled about the way Greek mythology should be mixed in a story from Rick Riordan and his Percy Jackson series... (And yes I KNOW  they're for two different age groups...) 
     Lastly, I want to talk about Helen. Sooo I'm not sure if its just me, but I felt like she was a little spineless. She was willing to let herself be vulnerable to her attacker because she couldn't be around a boy... Maybe that had to do with the Fates, but it kind of got to the point where I was wondering if she had ANY kind of backbone. Now to Claire... She annoyed the crap out of me. How do you magically know everything that's been going on already but never said anything. Best friend, kid, or not, they would've freaked out. I guarantee someone would've had some kind of questions. Maybe I'm being too realistic about this fictional situation, but Angelini could've at least made her a little more believable... 
     But enough of my ranting... due to my love for Greek mythology, I was able to finish the book.
Overall, I give this ** (2 out of 5)

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Labels: , ,