Divergent by Veronica Roth

Hardcover, 487 pages
Published May 3, 2011
Katherine Tegen Books
Divergent #1
Source: Library
For fans of: Dystopian, Post-Apocalyptic, YA

In a future Chicago, 16 year old Beatrice Prior must chose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who doesn't fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.

*MY THOUGHTS*
     I want to start by saying it took me FOREVER to read this for two reasons... I was concerned about all the hype it had around it and I wasn't the biggest fan of Dystopian. But finally I broke down and read it and omg I am SO glad I did! This book was so good. There were so many ups and downs in this story, and Tris was the perfect person to take me on the ride. I complained about her detachment in the beginning, but as it went on, I realized why she was like that. This book was really a coming of age novel for her as she began to find herself in her newly chosen faction. And by the end I was able to feel every piece of raw emotion she encountered.
     I also really liked the character development by Roth. Although some of her characters were cruel and evil, I loved watching them grow and getting to know them along with Tris. They all seemed real, from their happy emotions, to their jealous emotions. I was so connected with them that I felt myself hating everyone that she did and friends with those she was friends with.
     One thing I did not like was the actual world building. I would have been happier if it had went into the other factions a little more, but I understand that would have been a little confusing seeing as there were still all the details from the actual factions that were "really" in the story.
     And I have saved the BEST for last..... OMG the ending is heartbreaking. When I cry in a book, like actual tears, I know its good. I usually just get teary eyed, but in Divergent, I found myself like with real tears falling onto my cheeks. I was NOT expecting it to happen that way! I literally sat up on the couch and started ranting with tears on my face to my boyfriend who was helplessly watching tv lol
     And last but not least, I HAVE to mention Four.... Ahh how swoon-worthy is he?! I keep thinking of the lines "I'm waiting until I'm sure to tell you though" and "Maybe I'm already sure, and I just don't want to frighten you." Ugh I really don't know if I'll make it to may for Insurgent.
Overall, I give this **** (4 out of 5)

Divergent by Veronica Roth

*EXTRA*


If you missed my post from yesterday, here is the sequel to Divergent. Isn't the cover gorgeous? I love how it has Amity's sign on it! I'm so excited for this! There will also be a third Divergent, but there isn't a cover or a speculative date so I'll add that later as it comes. Until then, just go read Divergent if you haven't already!

Labels: ,