Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Hardcover, 338 pages
Published September 29, 2011
Dutton Books
Source: Library
Anna & the French Kiss Companion
Recommended for fans of: Chick-lit, Contemporary Romance, YA

Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood. 

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door. 


*MY THOUGHTS*
     When I found out about this companion novel to Anna and the French Kiss, I was ecstatic to read it. If you read my review on Anna, you know that Stephanie Perkins is now the reason why I can read contemporary romance. And just like Anna, Lola did not disappoint. 
     There were some things that I LOVED, like the many controversial things that came up in the story, like her parents. I like when stories give light to controversial issues and make them seem acceptable. Especially when its issues like those in her book. (Trying hard to keep it spoiler free lol) I also LOVED Cricket. He had it all... Style, looks, smarts, and the right attitude. I now know why everyone was always talking about Cricket. I felt so bad for him because I felt like he was tortured the entire time for being in love. It seemed like nothing could go right for them. I also like the whole costume thing from Lola. I thought it was cool she was daring to be different. I really wish I could see the things she came up with. It was like putting on a play everyday. 
     Overall, this book opened my eyes to a tortured love, controversial issues, and people who live their lives in a way different than others. 
Overall, I give this **** (4 out of 5)

Labels: , ,