Delirium by Lauren Oliver

E-Book, 310 pages
Published February 1, 2011
HarperTeen
Delirium #1
Source: Own
For fans of: Dystopia, Romance, YA

     Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. 

     But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love


*MY THOUGHTS*
     I had this book for over a year and I cracked it a few times, but I just could not get into it. I finally sat down and inched my way through it and I must say, it is THRILLING. The first 150 pages were somewhat slow, but after awhile, things picked up considerably. Now I'm not sure if it was because I had heard so much about the story or even if I had just heard so much about the famous Alex from the story, but I was too eager to get to the action. But the story finally picks up when Alex becomes a permanent in the story. 
     As for the characters, I love Love LOVED Hana! She was adventurous, outgoing, and rebellious... Everything you need in a best friend. And Alex..... OMG... Alex. He is the epitome of everything a man is. He was a hot, amazing, great character. I wish I could elaborate, but all that's left to do is *swoon*. But as for Lena, I had issues with her. She was bland and always wanted to follow the rules. I even had issues with the fact that her and Hana were friends. They just seemed too different. But then once she met Alex, Lena shed her "scared" skin and she grew up. 
     As for the story, Lauren Oliver, you really outdid yourself with the way you wrote this story. It kind of reminded me of Romeo and Juliet. At some points it seemed like poetry. And then the ending..... Oh the ending....... It was filled with action, suspense, and of course, a cliff hanger. I am EXTREMELY glad I waited this long to read this, because there is NO WAY I would've been able to wait for Pandemonium (Delirium #2) for as long as some of you other readers. I plan to read it soon as I cross some other things off my TBR list. 
Overall, I give this ****( 4 out of 5)

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Labels: , ,