Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Paperback, 418 pages
Published May 27, 2010
Published by Definitions
Stand-alone
Source: Library
For fans of: Realistic Fiction, Contemporary Romance, Drama.

She is pretty and talented - sweet sixteen and never been kissed. He is seventeen; gorgeous and on the brink of a bright future. And now they have fallen in love. But... they are brother and sister.

Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alcoholic, wayward mother to take care of their three younger siblings. As defacto parents to the little ones, Lochan and Maya have had to grow up fast. And the stress of their lives—and the way they understand each other so completely—has also also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love. Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right. As the novel careens toward an explosive and shocking finale, only one thing is certain: a love this devastating has no happy ending. (From Goodreads)

*MY THOUGHTS*
     Wow.... I really don't know where to start with this review. I'm literally sitting here wiping my eyes and trying to put into words the experience I had with this book. I guess I'll start by commenting on the easiest things first and then go to the hardest. So, the easiest thing to talk about is would have to be the writing style Suzuma has. From the very beginning, I was transported into the page. Her descriptiveness made it seem as if I was in the story experiencing the things the characters did. And also, because the chapters were done as both Locahn and Maya, I was able to put myself in the both of their heads and know both their thoughts and secrets. Suzuma took a very big risk in writing about something that's not usually written about or even talked about it and turned it into a masterpiece
     Now, to the love part of the story. Here is a classic tale of forbidden love. The twist this time is the fact that it involves a sister and brother. Yes this is a tale of incest. Even me admitting that I read this, let alone liked it, was hard, but it was worth all the weird looks I got when asked what it was about. But going back to the writing style, the love that Maya and Lochan had was hard for them  NOT to like. Especially with all the things they were enduring. Their family was falling apart, and it wasn't surprising that all they thought they had was each other. 
     And lastly, this may seem weird, but I think the hardest thing that I had to deal with was the fact that they had to grow up so fast. They were running their family and taking care of their mother, as well as the kids. And with children like Kit and the drunken mother, believe me that was no easy feat. Every event built up so many emotions in me and at the end when everything surfaced, I broke down. I cried, and cried, and cried..... And cried some more. Just knowing everything they went through and how it was handled... It really took a lot out of me. I MUST read something light and fluffy now just to calm myself again after this read. 
Overall, I give this


Labels: , ,