The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

Paperback, 573 pages
Release Date: October 12, 2010
Published by: Hyperion Book CH
The Heroes of Olympus #1
Source: Own
For fans of: Mythology, Action, Fantasy

Jason has a problem. He doesn’t remember anything before waking up on a school bus holding hands with a girl. Apparently he has a girlfriend named Piper. His best friend is a kid named Leo, and they’re all students in the Wilderness School, a boarding school for “bad kids”, as Leo puts it. What he did to end up here, Jason has no idea — except that everything seems very wrong.
Piper has a secret. Her father, a famous actor, has been missing for three days, and her vivid nightmares reveal that he’s in terrible danger. Now her boyfriend doesn’t recognize her, and when a freak storm and strange creatures attack during a school field trip, she, Jason, and Leo are whisked away to someplace called Camp Half-Blood. What is going on? 
Leo has a way with tools. His new cabin at Camp Half-Blood is filled with them. Seriously, the place beats Wilderness School hands down, with its weapons training, monsters, and fine-looking girls. What’s troubling is the curse everyone keeps talking about, and that a camper’s gone missing. Weirdest of all, his bunkmates insist they are all—including Leo—related to a god. (From GoodReads)

*MY THOUGHTS*
     In this book, we're introduced to three new heroes. All of which have no idea they are heroes. They all seem to be trouble makers. But as soon as the book begins, something happens that leads the heroes to a place called Camp Half-Blood. Here they learn about many weird things such as monsters, a curse, and a missing camper. Soon Jason, Leo, and Piper find out more about the camp which causes them to learn more about themselves. 
     They are then given a special task to help figure out why things have gone South in the United States and come to find out, it isn't an easy task. As the quest goes on, all three of the demigods help each other out against monsters, gods, goddesses, and other things. Especially the big thing at the end. When there is a conclusion. I wonder how many people who have read it actually made the connection. 
     Now I was really in-between about this book. There were things I liked, but there were also things I didn't like. And the things I didn't like were pretty hard to ignore. So, let's start with the things that I did like. 
     Rick Riordan is one of my favorite authors. I love everything about him, from the reason he started writing these stories about the ADHD kids being demigods to his wonderful humor to the fact that he lives in my home state of Texas. But the thing I like most about him, is the fact that regardless of your age, if you  don't know much about the gods and goddesses and the monsters from their world, you can learn so much from him. And in a light, funny, adventurous way. His writing style is unique and draws you in on every adventure he writes about. 
     I also liked the fact that this is like a companion novel to the Percy Jackson series. If you know me, you know that I LOVED the Percy Jackson series, so when I started reading this and Annabeth, Rachel, Chiron, and Thalia all were still around, I was so excited. Spoiler: I couldnt wait to get through the book and find Percy, but due to different events in the book, he wasn't there :( But I have a feeling he will definitely be in the next book of the series, especially since its called "The Son of
     I also loved the addition of the Roman gods in this book. It was a great way to change up the story a bit and I was able to learn more about the gods at the same time I was enjoying the story. I really liked that their addition because before starting this book, the only thing I knew about the Roman gods were the fact that they were the Greek god's counterparts. Before reading this, I only knew the names of the Greek gods. Now having read this, I know both names for them...
     The only thing I didn't like, was the fact that it seemed EXACTLY like Percy's story. I'm not sure if it has to do with the connection that I got at the end, or if it wasn't supposed to be like that at all, but I wanted to read this because I was expecting them to have their own story. But it reminided me so much of Percy's that I was able to guess a few things as it happened. But the good thing about this is, I LOVED Percy and his series so I didn't really mind. It was the "predictableness" that I had a problem with. 
    Overall, I give this 


Labels: , ,