Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Hardcover, 387 pages
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Published by: Feiwel & Friends
The Lunar Chronicles #1
Source: Library
For fans of: Action, Fantasy, Dystopia, Fairy-Tale Retellings, Sci-Fi, and YA

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, the ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

*MY THOUGHTS*
     When i first heard the title I was soooo excited to read this. Then as I read the blurb, I was like.... Uhhh Cyborgs? Lunar people? Androids? Yeahhhh not happening. When everyone else was requesting it on Netgalley, I was trying to stay far away from it. But then I noticed that everyone was giving it 5 star reviews... And as you all should know I take all my blogger friends recommendations seriously.... So I went ahead and added it to my TBR pile. And I let it sit there and sit there. Until I got word that the sequel was coming out sometime next year. Yes I still had time, but because I've been on a fairy tale retelling kick lately, I decided to give it a go. So, I did...... And I really did fall in LOVE.
     This book was nothing like I thought it would be. From the very beginning I was pulled into Cinder's world. And let me tell you, Meyer's world building is fan-effing-tastic. I could see the entire book played out in my head as I read, from the hovercrafts, to the palace, to the andriods. I loved everything about it. With her words she is able to take you to a place way off in the future way off in another country. 
     In Cinder's world, she lives with her "evil stepmother and stepsister" who treat her as the servant. Even through all this, she still was able to remain herself. Her wit and sarcasm was what I loved about her. As the story goes on, Cinder is the Commonwealth's top mechanic. She has the pleasure of meeting Prince Kai one day when he asks her to take a look at his android. And then the story takes off from there. 
     The only thing that I disliked about the story was the fact that I was expecting more Cinderella elements... I can't say what was there or what was missing for fear of giving away spoilers, but just know they were there, but not what I was expecting. I guess I was looking more for that precious fairy tale  (because Cinderella was one of my favorites. Second only to Beauty and the Beast...) and not thinking it would more than likely ruin her retelling. But overall, I did enjoy the parts that were there. 
    Lastly, what the crap was up with that ending?! I mean JESUS Meyer are you really trying to make your readers suffer over this cliffhanger?! Now that the sequel is coming out I know a little of what may happen from reading its blurb, but I NEEEEEEEEEED the next book. And the fact that there are ARCs out right now circulating the US.... Ughhhh I need someone to be my very best friend ever in life and let me borrow it. I promise I will read it and return it in mint condition :)
Overall, I give this

*EXTRAS*
1. There was a prequel to this released on the internet. I read it first before I read Cinder. You can also read it here: Glitches by Marissa Meyer

2. Also, Meyer uses Pintrest and I stalked looked at her Lunar Chronicles Inspiration board as I was reading and it made it more enjoyable since I was able to see her version of the characters. 

3. And last but certainly not least, if my review is not enough, here is the rundown of the next few books according to GoodReads
Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)
[#2] Scarlet by Marissa Meyer: 
Cinder returns in the second thrilling installment of the New York Times-bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive. Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother and the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she has no choice but to trust him, though he clearly has a few dark secrets of his own. As Scarlet and Wolf work to unravel one mystery, they find another when they cross paths with Cinder. Together, they must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen who will do anything to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner.

[#3] Cress by Marissa Meyer: This book will feature Cinder and Rapunzel and will take place on the moon.

[#4] Winter by Marissa Meyer: This book will feature Cinder and Snow White and will take place in the Sahara Desert.

If those descriptions don't get you interested, I'm afraid nothing will!!!!!

Labels: , , , , ,