Ten by Gretchen McNeil

E-Book, 217 pages
Release date: September 18, 2012
Published by: Balzer & Bray
Stand-alone
Source: Own
For fans of: Horror, Contemporary, Mystery, Thriller, YA

And their doom comes swiftly.

It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?

*MY THOUGHTS*
     This book totally caught me by surprise. At first I was kind of "iffy" on what I was thinking about it because I felt like the writing was kind of wonky, but then, it got better. Loads better.
     In this tale, the author spins a massive tale of deception, mystery, and horror. Ten teens have gathered together on an island in hopes of having the "most epic house party ever." But, upon arrival things begin to go downhill. There is a torrential downpour and then hours later, someone turns up dead. The teens know something weird is going on and they must put the puzzle together before it proves to be too late.
     As I said, at first I wasn't too happy with the writing style. I kind of felt like the author was trying to hard to seem teen-ish, but that small minor detail can be overlooked. Especially since on of her characters is kind of quiet and a little awkward. Maybe she meant to do that....
     Also, I'm not sure what it was, but the set up of the story was a bit bland for me. I didn't get hooked until the first kill came into play. That's when the story like jumped off and I was completely sucked in. 
     Other than those things, I really enjoyed it. Once the first kill car up, everything started coming together. It didn't prove to be as scary as everyone was hyping it up to be, but I know had I actually been in that situation, I would definitely have been scared out of my mind lol
     Lastly, that ending more than made up for the bland beginning. First off, the culprit was someone I wasn't expecting. And let me just say, fooling me is a difficult feat. The only things I watch on tv are cop shows and I've pretty much programmed my mind to thinking its the least obvious person. Also, the final scene with the person who did it (the "bonfire") made me like "ZOMG!!!" I was literally reading the pages like this 0_0 
     All in all, this book more than surprised me. The ending threw me off and it was full of drama, suspense, mystery, and death. The perfect combination for a Halloween read. 
Overall, I give this 



Labels: , , , ,