Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Nook Book, 384 pages
Release Date: April 15, 2014
Published by: Disney Hyperion
Stand-alone
Source: Bought
For fans of: Thrillers, Contemporary, YA

     Samantha is a stranger in her own life. Until the night she disappeared with her best friend, Cassie, everyone said Sam had it all-popularity, wealth, and a dream boyfriend.
     Sam has resurfaced, but she has no recollection of who she was or what happened to her that night. As she tries to piece together her life from before, she realizes it's one she no longer wants any part of. The old Sam took "mean girl" to a whole new level, and it's clear she and Cassie were more like best enemies. Sam is pretty sure that losing her memories is like winning the lottery. She's getting a second chance at being a better daughter, sister, and friend, and she's falling hard for Carson Ortiz, a boy who has always looked out for her-even if the old Sam treated him like trash.
     But Cassie is still missing, and the facts about what happened to her that night isn't just buried deep inside of Sam's memory-someone else knows, someone who wants to make sure Sam stays quiet. All Sam wants is the truth, and if she can unlock her clouded memories of that fateful night, she can finally move on. But what if not remembering is the only thing keeping Sam alive?
 

*MY THOUGHTS*

          After reading Frigid, another thriller of Armentrout's I added this to my TBR way before I even read the synopsis. I loved it and I just knew I would love this one as well. And of course, I did. One can never go wrong with her writing. It can cure any book slump and will make you swoon, make you laugh, and this particular one may send your heart racing.
"'Cops don't drag lakes looking for survivors. They dragged them looking for bodies."</
span>
29%      Starting with the mystery, this one was a doozie. I can normally come up with my theories about halfway through, but this one took me until about 75% through. And by then I had about 3 going on. I never did come up with one exact one, BUT, one of my many theories did end up being correct. But the story that went along with it? Yeah definitely was not expecting that. It was crazy and something I never would've expected.
"'But what I was feeling was so startlingly real. Like a splash of vibrant color in a world that was a dark, drab gray."
33%
     Then there were the characters. Let's just say Sammy is one strong MF. She went through A LOT and she was still there trying to make sure everything was solved. She could've waited until all her memories came back but she stuck it out until the end. Then of course there was Scott. I really loved him. Although "before" Sammy wasn't the easiest to get along with, from the very beginning he was always there for her. I know it wasn't easy because siblings are supposed to despise each other lol But he still made it work for her. Then of course there's Carson. He was so incredibly sweet and super forgiving. He knew the Sammy that had always been inside her and had the patience to help coax her back out. And one last question... Was "Sammy" and "Winchester" a shout out to Supernatural? lol
"'What if the truth isn't to your liking Sam? What if it only makes everything worse?"
64%
     The only thing I didn't like was the thriller part I guess. Frigid made my heart speed up and I was naturally scared. In this one. my heart didn't speed up until the very end and I was a little upset by that. I wasn't really scared when I read it and I really wanted to be. But in the end it did get my heart racing to stroke territory, but by then we were already about to find out who the killer was. I guess I just wanted to be more scared throughout the entire book.
"'Living was hard, but I was alive and that had to count for something.."
82%
     Although I wasn't as scared as I had wanted to be, it was still an enjoyable read.  The characters and the NEED to find out who the killer really was had the book stuck to my hand!
Overall, I give this

What did you think about this one? 
Could you guess the killer? 

Labels: , , ,