Wild by Alex Mallory

ARC, 434 pages
Release Date: July 8, 2014
Published by: HarperTeen
Stand-alone
For fans of: Adventure, Health, YA

     The forest is full of secrets, and no one understands that better than Cade. Foraging, hunting, surviving— that’s all he knows. Alone for years, Cade believes he’s the sole survivor. At least, until he catches a glimpse of a beautiful stranger…
     Dara expected to find natural wonders when she set off for a spring break camping trip. Instead, she discovers a primitive boy— he’s stealthy and handsome and he might be following her. Intrigued, Dara seeks him out and sets a catastrophe in motion.
     Thrust back into society, Cade struggles with the realization that the life he knew was a lie. But he’s not the only one. Trying to explain life in a normal town leaves Dara questioning it.
     As the media swarm and the police close in, Dara and Cade risk everything to get closer. But will the truth about Cade’s past tear them apart?
     A YA Tarzan retelling.
 

*MY THOUGHTS*

     When I heard about this one I was INSTANTLY excited. Like you have no idea. I automatically want to read any type of re-telling, but this one was guaranteed to be unique. And it definitely was. I'm pretty sure I won't ever read anything like this ever again. 
"It was hard to be happy on an expiration date."
(ARC)
     The best thing about this book was the uniqueness of it. I found out about it through the Re-Tellings web that the Epic Reads girls made and I'd been thinking about it ever since. The story was laced with some of the original events (or really things that I remembered from the movies) as well as some new things that were captured in this story. I was a little worried about the way they said things like iPhone and other electronics, thinking it would date the story, but it actually didn't. It gave a little more to the story. That way we were able to see how things had evolved so much in the time that Cade had been gone. 
"Can I be rude?' Cade considered this. 'Probably."
(ARC)
     One thing I wasn't impressed with was the way the characters were so quick to disbelieve him. No one ever went to try and prove him right or wrong, they just jumped to saying he was lying. It made me a little upset because then they would have seen. And then when everything came out, it just seemed like there was nothing and they were still treating him like a suspect. I really hated how they treated him. Just because it's different doesn't mean its wrong geesh. 
"Do you even know what a phone is?' 'Yes. It plays music in your bag and then you cuss until it stops. Then you hold it in front of your face and talk to yourself."
(ARC)
     Last but not least, I did not like how the synopsis basically tells the entire story. Yeah it tells the small things, but in the story that's really it. There's no huge climax event and there's no OMG moments in the middle. It's basically cut and dry. But then again, that's basically how the real story was.Which is the main reason my rating isn't higher. But even still, I did enjoy it.
"He suffered, and she suffered, and there was nothing anyone could do to fix it.."
(ARC)
     Although there were somethings that were wrong with this re-telling, there were still some things I enjoyed as well. 
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , ,