Winterkill by Kate Boorman

ARC, 319 pages
Release Date: September 9, 2014
Published by: Henry Abrams
Winterkill, #1
For fans of: Romance, Sparkly Covers

     Emmeline knows she’s not supposed to explore the woods outside her settlement. The enemy that wiped out half her people lurks there, attacking at night and keeping them isolated in an unfamiliar land with merciless winters. Living with the shame of her grandmother’s insubordination, Emmeline has learned to keep her head down and her quick tongue silent.
     When the settlement leader asks for her hand in marriage, it’s an opportunity for Emmeline to wash the family slate clean—even if she has eyes for another. But before she’s forced into an impossible decision, her dreams urge her into the woods, where she uncovers a path she can’t help but follow. The trail leads to a secret that someone in the village will kill to protect. Her grandmother followed the same path and paid the price. If Emmeline isn’t careful, she will be next.
 

*MY THOUGHTS*

      Can't lie, I signed up for this tour because I LOVED the cover, which I figured had to make this an interesting read. Well that's what I get AGAIN for judging a book by it's cover.Because although this was a good book, it wasn't all that it was cracked up to be. 
"I fail upholding Honesty every other day."
pg 8
     For one, let's start with the lack of action. I'm thinking in this type of snow there has to be some type of action. At least an abominable snowman right? No? Well, there wasn't anything happening. There was a point around 75 pages where I got my hopes up, but then it turned out to be nothing. They hid and that was it. No epic fight or anything to get rid of the people holding them cacaptive. They just hid. 
"Honesty, Bravery, Discovery,: these virtues create a strength that keeps the evil- the malmaci- at bay."
pg 31
     And then there was the romance. I saw it coming a mile away. When it was revealed he was mad at her, I knew what it was going to end up being. And then they met and low and behold he fell for her. And it wasn't just any old insta-love, it was, let's go get married insta-love. I just can't deal. And of course she wasn't ok with it either. So she falls for someone else. I knew this plot the moment someone else asked for her hand. 
"I don't know, and I don't have time to figure it. So, I do what I'm getting real good at. I lie."
pg 221
     As I got to the end, there was still not much happening. I found myself getting distracted more and more tv shows, and movies, and other things. Maybe I'm just not a huge fan of historical fiction (because that's what this reminded me of) and that hindered me from really enjoying this one. 
Overall, I give this

Labels: ,