5th Annual End of Year Book Survey – 2014 Edition!

Every year Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner does this super cool end of the year survey and it's always so fun! Last year's was really fun, so I HAD to do this one too! Can't wait to see everyone's answers this year! So, let's get started!


Number Of Books You Read: 
90
Number of Re-Reads: 
4 [I BELIEVE that's true.... I'm not 100% sure because I didn't save the reread dates on Goodreads :( ]
Genre You Read The Most From: 
Contemporary Romance


1. Best Book You Read In 2014?: 
Fantasy: Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins
Contemporary Romance: [Woo this was hard....] Something Real by Heather Demetrios
Thriller: Blackbird by Anna Carey

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Wicked by Jennifer Armentrout
(Don't all yell at me at once!)

 3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014? 
Panic by Lauren Oliver. I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did since I'm not a super huge fan girl like everyone else seems to be. But I really got into this one. I remember flying through it! 

 4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins

 5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
Series Started: Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas 
Sequel: This was really hard. I'll go with Cress by Marissa Meyer that was released this year and The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan that was released in a different year but I still loved it! 
Series Ender: Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins 

 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
You want me to pick just one? Pssshhhh 
Here's two:
Heather Demetrios & Amanda Maciel.  


7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
The Assassin's Blade and now Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas! I can't wait to get to the actual series! 

 8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins. I took that book EVERYWHERE with me because I never wanted to be without it! 

 9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Not sure that this counts because this doesn't really come out until next year, but still....
My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga. I read  an ARC of it and immediately pre-ordered it afterwards.  

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1)

11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Josh from Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins.
I wish I could see his work in real life! 

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
The Last Time We Say Good-bye by Cynthia Hand.
I know it's cheating a little because it isn't released until next year, but still...... (That just means PRE-ORDER IT NOW!)

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
My Heart and Other Black Holes. I read this one around Thanksgiving when all that I was thankful for was heavy on my mind. This book was about two teens that make a suicide pact, so it made me think a lot harder about what I was thankful for. 

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read? 
The Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. But in my defense, I only read it because the movie was coming out tho. I got a spoiler a long time ago and it was the biggest plot twist in the book. (If you've read it, you know what I mean.) It made me not want to read it. 

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
"So it looks as though the same groups of people find each other over and over. Not invariably, but far more than mere chance would suggest."
-From A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
 Longest: Cress by Marissa Meyer
Shortest: Kiss of Broken Glass by Madeleine Kuderick
*Side note*: I did not include the novellas or middle grade novels I read... 

 17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Released this year or before this year: The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan... The ending made me IMMEDIATELY request House of Hades from the library... I'm so glad I waited and did not have to wait an entire year like the rest of the world! 
Released Next Year: The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutoksi. THAT. ENDING. 

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Josh and Isla from Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins. I mean... They were PERFECT. 

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Zoe and Olivia. Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor.  I loved them so much I had to write a post about my own favorite real life womances! Another friendship I liked was Reagan and Dee from Open Road Summer by Emery Lord. (The only reason they didn't get my vote was because Regan wasn't really my favorite person throughout the whole book...) 

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson

21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor. Thanks to Princess Bookie! And I LOVED it! 

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
Jax from Stay With Me by J.Lynn!
NUFF. SAID. 

23. Best 2014 debut you read?
A toss up between Tease by Amanda Maciel and Something Real by Heather Demetrios.
One was told from a villain's POV and the other had a plot that I had never read anything like before. 

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
The Sahara and the Moon from Cress by Marissa Meyer. That's my favorite part of that series, the setting! 

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend by Katie Finn. This book had me LAUGHING OUT LOUD.... Like LITERALLY! 

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens. I boo-hooed on this one! 

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White. It was historical fiction and fantasy. A mix of two genres I'm not really big on. But in the end I still liked it!  

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor. I almost added this one to the cry one, but I changed it to use for here when I got to this question. Yes this was a sad story, but geez what happens in it is so sad. I cried for sooooo long after reading this my eyes were puffy for the rest of the night smh 

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
Inspire by Cora Carmack.
It featured a mythological NA! I LOVED it and I'm already looking forward to the second book in this series! 

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
*SPOILER* The One by Kiera Cass. I wanted her to surprise us all and choose Aspen (even though I was Team Maxon) buttttt yeah we can see how that turned out. Now we get to see how things will happen in The Heir. 



1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014? 
Pivot Book Reviews! She's funny and her totes are "TOTES" amazing! Y'all should check her out!

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014? 
It's not out until next year so you'll have to read it then.... Or you can visit here on my Goodreads to read it before it gets to my site!

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
In my Beyond the Book post about how me and Charlie from On the Fence were the same, I got a little personal about my tomboyish ways. Check it out of you have time! 


4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I went to Montgomery County Book Festival at the beginning of the year and I had SO MUCH FUN! I met Marissa freakin Meyer and got my entire series signed by her along with a paperback where she signed Thank You next to my blog! I believe I was star struck for awhile lol 

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
The biggest/best thing that happened to me bookish wise this year was being accepted to University of North Texas as a Library Science student. Now that the semester is over, I am ONE STEP CLOSER TO MY DREAMS. I never thought I'd actually be a librarian one day, but now that I have my foot in the door, you can bet NOTHING will stop me now! I just registered for my classes for next semester, and I'm taking Public Libraries, Literature for Youth, and Information and Knowledge Professions. I am OVERJOYED and can't wait to start! 

6. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
That would be my Beyond the Book for All Lined Up by Cora Carmack! It was for females and gave them help to learn football before the season started so they could watch it with their significant other!
Views: 176


7. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Any review. I know as book reviewers, most of the time we just skim them or go straight for the ratings and don't really read them all the way through, but it would be nice to see what someone actually thought about it. 

8. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Out of Print clothing. I LOVE a certain library card tote they have and as soon as I am caught up after the holidays, THE PRECIOUS WILL BE MINE! 

9.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I challenged myself to read two fantasy, two historical fiction, and two dystopians. I completed all of them except the historical fiction... I just can't make myself read them :/



1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
Hahahaha you want me to pick ONE?! I only read 90 books this year, not nearly as many as alot of other bloggers lol So, here's a couple I'm making a priority for 2015:
Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)Exquisite Captive (Dark Caravan Cycle #1)They All Fall Down




2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
Again with the picking one... what is wrong with you people?!
A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)The Cage (The Cage, #1)


3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
More Happy Than Not
I love the author of this one and his Twitter! I can't wait to see what his book is all about! I've been stalking Soho for a glimpse of any ARC's because I. NEEDS. IT. 

 4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
Blank-133x176
Winter by Marissa Meyer. Because let's be honest, Fairest will be good and all, but I doubt it will tell me what happened with Scarlet..............

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
Request more ARC's. Now this is not what my blogging life is about, but it is nice to have something come surprise me in the mail every so often. Also, after finishing my second semester of graduate school, I want to start looking for a career job instead of just having my regular job now. Sure I enjoy it, but I'd much rather be in a place surrounded by books all day... (Meaning besides my house lol) Lastly, I want to read more for fun books. I know I just basically said I wanted to make my schedule a little tighter, but ehh it is what it is. I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze in some "me" books every so often. (See question #1 from this section.....)

6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
My Heart and Other Black Holes
How many of you just KNEW this would be my answer? lol I clearly loved this book and I can't wait for everyone else to read and enjoy it. It's released on February 10th, but go out and pre-order it now! If you love heavy hitting contemps, this one will be as perfect for you as it was for me! 

Well, that's it for me! I really don't feel like I read that many new releases this year, but that's ok. I've been catching up on books I've wanted to read since I started blogging. Please, leave some comments and your links in the comment section, I'd love to come and see what it is you guys chose for your questions! 



Labels: