The Duff: Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger

AudioBook, 7 parts
Narrated by: Ellen Grafton
Release Date: September 7, 2010
Published by: Poppy
The Duff, #1
Source: Library via OverDrive
For fans of: Romantic Comedies, Contemporary Romance,  Books to Movies, YA

     Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face.
     But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.
      Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.
 

*MY THOUGHTS*

     Before I start my review I have to admit that I started reading this book due to awesome-sauce movie trailer it has out now! I had it on my radar since I first started blogging, but I just never got around to it. But after seeing the trailer, I just couldn't wait any longer. I waited to see if my library had it and checked it out automatically.
     Bianca loathes Wesley. She calls him a womanizer and he openly accepts it. They fight about things all the time, but the one time that Wesley calls Bianca "The Duff" she decides that she has nothing left to say to him and throws her drink in his face. But soon after, things for Bianca start to get complicated and she needs an escape. She ends up calling on the number one person NO ONE would have thought.
     After reading the book and thinking about it and everything, I have to say it's alot different than I thought it would be. Bianca got on my nerves with her cynical attitude. I know there really are people out there like that, but those people aren't necessarily someone I would hang out with. This of course made it hard for me to read about her and connect with her. Jessica and Casey were way better people and what kept the story alive for me.
     As for the writing style, I wasn't really impressed by it. Everyone was saying it was funny and they enjoyed it, but I wasn't a huge fan of it. I mean I laughed at some things, but with others I was just like "oh." It just wasn't that funny to me. Which I found pretty weird because I laugh at everything.
     What I did like about this story was the message it got out. At first I wasn't very excited about what it is she was doing, but as she finally began to understand herself more and became aware of the message she was sending, I finally fell completely for it.
     I think if I had read this when I found out about the book (about 4 years ago when I first started blogging) I would have enjoyed this a bit more. But now seeing as I'm a huge fan of contemps and have read so many of them over the years, I'm not really impressed. I heard that she was 18 when she wrote this, so that may be another reason it felt so generic, so I will still try reading other books by her.
Overall, I give this 

Labels: , , ,