Kingsman: The Secret Service (Movie Review)

R, 129 minutes
Release Date: February 13, 2014

     A spy organization recruits an unrefined, but promising street kid into the agency's ultra-competitive training program just as a global threat emerges from a twisted tech genius.

     When I went to see this with the boyfriend, we went just because it looked cool. We had been seeing the previews for awhile and were really inerested in seeing what these super nice dressed men could really have to fight and kill people  about.
     Kingsman starts with a really weird opening scene from the past that features a college professor and a lot of snow. And then it goes on to another even in the past featuring another set of people. As the movie goes on, the audience is introduced to a troubled teen who in asks for help so he's not in really big trouble for the last time. Hr soon finds out that the person who helped him is into way more than he bargained for.
     In other words, I liked this more than I thought I would. The fighting and action drew me in and some of the quotes were actually quite profound. (My favorite was from the dude  Harry Hart: The suit is the modern gentleman's armour. )It really quite surprised me. 
     Normally I wouldn't do a movie review here (that's not based on a book), but I didn't find out until the end of the movie that this was based on a comic book! The comic book is called The Secret Service and after seeing the movie seems pretty good! The effects were good and the fight scenes were BAD. ASS.  There is a church scene that had both me and the boyfriend jumping and "ohhhh-ing" in our seats. I have no idea how they managed all those effects without it looking too computerized, but it was so good!
     The only things I didn't like were really small. Like so small they were almost non-existent. I was really annoyed by the lisp that Samuel L. Jackson had. I think because I know he doesn't normally have one, so it just seemed out of place. Maybe the villain has one in the comic book, but I'd really like for it to disappear if they continue on with more from this comic book series lol I was also really unhappy with the predictability. Remember I never knew anything about the comic book, but still I was able to call every plot twist in the movie. I knew certain things would happen at least three minutes before they came to light on the screen. 
     Although some things were off, there were also some things I really enjoyed. Even though we're not sure if they will do more from The Secret Service comic, I will still have the actaul comic to read! 
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , ,