Middle Grade Monday- School for Sidekicks by Kelly McCullough

ARC, 328 pages
Release Date: August 4, 2015
Published by: Feiwel & Friends
Stand-alone
Source: ATWAT
For fans of: Middle Grade, Superheroes, LOL, Adventture, 

     Being a hero isn't always what it's cracked up to be in this funny and genuine novel from adult fantasy author Kelly McCullough.
     Evan Quick is a GIANT superhero geek who dreams of one day becoming a superhero himself. Every morning he checks to see if he's developed his powers overnight, and every day there's nothing. No flying, no super strength, no invulnerability—that always hurts to check—no telepathy, no magic. Not even the ability to turn off the alarm clock without smacking the switch.
     But then Evan somehow manages to survive a supervillian's death ray, and is sent to the Academy for Metahuman Operatives. Unfortunately, his new school is not what he expected, and instead of fighting bad guys, Evan finds himself blacklisted, and on the wrong side of the school's director. If Evan ever wants to realize his dream, he must convince his "mentor" Foxman, a semi-retired has-been, to become a real hero once again.
 

*MY THOUGHTS*

      Just the cover of this book was enough for me to read this. And then this super cool synopsis came out too,,, I was sold. If you know me, superheroes (especially Wonder Woman) are my "kroptynite" and now anything of that nature I want to get my hands on. 
     Evan Quick is a huge nerd who would rather be by his self reading the latest Captain Commanding book than spend any time with real humans. Until his life starts to turn around and he realizes all that he read about was actually true. But then things start happening to him specifically and he makes his way to a completely new school.....
     The number one thing about this book that I loved was the humor. I knew it was going to be super funny because its an MG novel, but I didn't know it wold be THAT funny. From page one until the very end I found myself laughing non-stop. Evan is so worrisome and has the weirdest thoughts lol I found myself literally laughing out loud with this one. 
     I also enjoyed reading about these superheroes in a format other than a comic book. As a Wonder Woman and DC Comics "groupie," I have read multiple comic books and enjoyed them along with the illustrations and some of the boxes not having words. They're always a lot of fun, but having this book was basically a comic book I could read and make my own pictures up in my head. It made it even more enjoyable! 
     This is one MG that could be good for any MG or YA reader. From the humor, to the cool characters, to the super cool way the book was written, I fell in love with this book. I hope that all you readers out there will give it a shot!
Overall, I give this

Labels: , ,