Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum

Audio, 8 hours 30 minutes
Release Date: April 5, 2016
Published by: Random House
Stand-alone
Source: Library (Overdrive)
For fans of: Contemporary, Romance, LOL,  Realistic Fiction, Diversity, YA


     What if the person you need the most is someone you've never met?" Funny and romantic, this tug-at-your-heartstrings contemporary YA debut is perfect for readers of Rainbow Rowell, Jennifer Niven, and E. Lockhart. Everything about Jessie is wrong. At least, that's what it feels like during her first week as a junior at her new ultra-intimidating prep school in Los Angeles. It s been barely two years since her mother s death, and because her father eloped with a woman he met online, Jessie has been forced to move across the country to live with her step-monster and her pretentious teenage son.
     Just when she s thinking about hightailing it back to Chicago, she gets an email from a person calling themselves Somebody/Nobody (SN for short), offering to help her navigate the wilds of Wood Valley High School. Is it an elaborate hoax? Or can she rely on SN for some much-needed help? In a leap of faith or an act of complete desperation Jessie begins to rely on SN, and SN quickly becomes her lifeline and closest ally. Jessie can't help wanting to meet SN in person. But are some mysteries better left unsolved?

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I didn't hear about this one until the book was already out and by then I saw that everyone was giving it 5 stars or higher and by then I was fearful of the book. As a contemp lover its pretty hard to get a 5 star from me. But when I noticed it was available on Overdrive, I downloaded it immediately. And I'm so glad I did.
     Jessie's dad has gotten re-married... To someone he met on the internet a mere two years after her mother died. Then Jessie is "forced" to move to her step-mother's house and to a school where she feels one hundred percent out of place. But then she gets an e-mail from an anonymous source.... She doesn't know if she can trust them, but she goes out on a limb and they become fast friends. Will meeting SN be a good idea or will it mess up what they've built? 
     The main reason this got just an ok rating from me was because of Jessie. She seemed so selfish. It was like everything had to be about her. I admit it should've been about her with one person, but with others, there was more than just her. I was glad someone finally let her know it wasn't all about her. 
     As for the "mystery" I enjoyed it! I was torn between thinking it was pretty cute and sweet that this person was doing this for her, but then I got incredibly annoyed that they still wouldn't tell her when things took a turn for the worse. But the big reveal made it ok. Because I thought it was hilarious how it all played out. Since the romance was mainly the mystery part, I will say that I was happy with the person it turned out to be. I knew who it was almost all along. But it was still cute to see how it all played out. 
     This book didn't live up to the hype for me, but it did make for a super good contemp with some great swoony parts. I can't wait to see what else Buxbaum has in store for her readers! 
Overall, I give this

(This review will have no quotes because it was an audio!)

Labels: , , , , , ,