The Marked Girl by Lindsey Klingele

ARC, 382
Release Date: June 7, 2016
Published by: HarperTeen
Marked Girl, #1
Source: TLA
For fans of: Magic, Fantasy, Contemp, Romance, Magical Realism, YA


     Once upon a time, in a land far, far away (Los Angeles)…
     When Cedric, crowned prince of Caelum, and his fellow royal friends (including his betrothed, Kat) find themselves stranded in modern-day L.A. via a magical portal and an evil traitor named Malquin, all they want to do is get home to Caelum—soon. Then they meet Liv, a filmmaker foster girl who just wants to get out of the system and on with her life. As she and Cedric bond, they’ll discover that she’s more connected to his world than they ever could’ve imagined…and that finding home is no easy task…

*MY THOUGHTS*

     When I heard about this book I saw it mentioned by another blogger as "Enchanted in YA" and I automatically thought I NEED THIS NOW. I got so excited for this book that I didn't even read the synopsis. And now, I kind of wish I had. 
     In the book Cedric is a prince and his family is in the midst of something huge. Something has gotten into the castle and now they've been forced out to find help. So, they've been forced through a portal through to the present day in Los Angeles. There they meet Liv who doesn't understand anything about them, but is intrigued enough to want to know more. 
     The main thing that I didn't like about this one was the way it seemed to be more of a "telling" than a "showing book." It was missing some of the fluff descriptions that I normally love and it seemed that it was only just putting everything in the scene so I knew it was there, but that was it. Because of that I wasn't immersed in the scene much at all. 
     Then there was the character. I tried liking her. About 97 pages worth. But I just couldn't get past the "COME AT ME BRO" and other things she was saying. I couldn't take her serious. I don't like when people talk like that in real life, so reading it just annoyed me, not going to lie. 
     In the end, I was pretty disappointed because I really wanted to read this book. I'd like to see what happens in the end, but I just couldn't connect. This one wasn't for me. Everyone else should give it a try though! Just because it wasn't for me, doesn't mean you won't like it! 
Overall, I give this

I DNF'ed this book at about page 105. By page 85 I was putting it down to skim. 



Labels: , , , , ,