100 Days by Nicole McInnes

ARC,  387 pages
Release Date: August 23, 2016
Published by: Farrar, Straus, & Giroux(BYR)
Read from: August 17- August 20, 2016
Stand-alone
Source: TxLA
For fans of: Contemporary, Romance, Realistic Fiction, Diversity (physical disorder), YA



     Agnes doesn't know it, but she only has one hundred days left to live. When she was just a baby, she was diagnosed with Progeria, a rare disease that causes her body to age at roughly ten times the normal rate. Now nearly sixteen years old, Agnes has already exceeded her life expectancy.
     Moira has been Agnes’s best friend and protector since they were in elementary school. Due to her disorder, Agnes is still physically small, but Moira is big. Too big for her own liking. So big that people call her names. With her goth makeup and all-black clothes, Moira acts like she doesn’t care. But she does.
     Boone was friends with both girls in the past, but that was a long time ago—before he did the thing that turned Agnes and Moira against him, before his dad died, before his mom got too sad to leave the house.
     An unexpected event brings Agnes and Moira back together with Boone, but when romantic feelings start to develop, the trio’s friendship is put to the test.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I hadn't heard of this book until I went to TxLA and when I saw it, I immediately grabbed it. The cover and the synopsis reminded me of a classic movie that I LOVE: The Breakfast Club. And I am so glad I grabbed it, because it was definitely a book that I will remember for a long while.
"People change Agnes."
pg. 14
     Agnes has been diagnosed with Progeria, a disease that makes the person with it age really fast. Then there's Moira who has been Agnes' "protector" since they were in grade school. The reason being? Moira is big. Bigger than even she wants to be. She uses that and her goth make-up to make people stay away and not mess with them. It's her armor. And then there's Boone who hasn't been friends with the girls in a very long time. But then something happens and things change between them when they least expect it.
"People who are different get bullied all the time."
pg. 26
     When I said this was like The Breakfast Club, I meant it. It had the different people from all of the different cliques, then there was the detention that had to be served, and then there was them finally coming together for a reason. I think for this reason I fell in love with this book. It reminded me of one of my favorite movies and put me in a bit of a comfort zone.
"Maybe our entire society is totally screwed up."
pg. 113
     I also really fell for the characters. Well the main characters. I really don't like some of the teachers or some of the students. They were terrible and I hate the way they made Moira and Agnes feel. There were some that were terrible to Boone as well, but I'll just say he can hold his own lol In the book they were described as "quite a sight" and I can see that being true. But I couldn't see them by themselves either. They completed each other and that completed the story for me.
"Sometimes I lie very still in my bed and pretend I never existed."
pg. 142
     And lastly, I really loved the diversity. I didn't know much about Progeria, but this book definitely made me look at many different websites and want to know more about it. I really liked the way it made me want to learn. And I liked the way all of the characters seem to finally feel happy with themselves. It really showed them finally learn to start really living. 
"Everything about how she looks and acts is so in-your-face. How are people supposed to respond? Like non-assholes for starters."
pg. 197
     This book is one that will stay with me for a long time. Not only for the way it was written or what it was about, but also because of the way it reminded me as well as the characters to live for myself and not to be scared to experience new things. Definitely something everyone needs to be reminded of all the time.
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , , ,