Middle Grade Monday: The Rat Prince by Bridget Hodder

ARC,  260 pages
Release Date: August 23, 2016
Published by: Farrar, Straus, & Giroux(BYR)
Read from: August 20- August 22, 2016
Stand-alone
Source: Publisher
For fans of: Fantasy, Middle Grade, Re-tellings

     The dashing Prince of the Rats--who's in love with Cinderella--is changed into her coachman on the night of the big ball. And he's about to turn the legend (and the evening) upside down on his way to a most unexpected happy ending!

*MY THOUGHTS*

     When I heard of this book I wasn't too keen on reading it. I mean RATS. But then I heard it was a Cinderella re-telling and I couldn't help but want to read it. I quickly added it to my TBR and bit my nails while I waited for it.
     Everyone thinks they know the real story of Cinderella, but everyone knows only what they WANT you to know. The "real" story can be found in-between these pages. It tells about Cinderella and the rat who is in love with her and how everything changes the night of the ball.
     In one word, this could definitely be described as cute. It had a great cast of characters and some trruly funny moments. I also thought it was cute because it gave an almost exact re-telling of Cinderella. As far as the ending, it was a lot better. I liked that it did give some variety on the tale.
     But then again, that may also be it's downfall. It seemed that there wasn't too much different about the re-telling for it to still be entertaining. I wanted to see more abut the rats and more about how they conducted business and treated their kingdom and more. It just seemed to be too much of the same story.
    But I did like that this story was also filled with some really great vocabulary. It will be great for children to learn some of the harder words (like sovereign and more. Not sure if that's a middle grade word, but I don't remember learning that until later.... I think.) It will do a 5th or 6th grade child well to read this and learn some words they may have not heard of before.
     This book wasn't the most entertaining, but was definitely still good in it's own right. I can see myself suggesting this to teachers and children looking for princess stories. It's a solid re-telling with a surprising ending that will leave them feeling "Happy Forever After."
Overall, I give this