A Guide with the Top 10 Things to Consider When Gifting Books!

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the BookishEach week we will post a new Top Ten list. Everyone is welcome to join.   

This week's topic is:
A Guide with the Top 10 Things to Consider When Gifting Books!

A small twist on today's topic, but I couldn't really come up with anything I wanted to really do, so I thought of this!

1. Think of what their favorite reading format is.: Hardcover, Paperback, E-books, or even audio!

2. If a series, consider what format they might already have.: My hubby bought me the HC of Isla but I had to paperback copies of Anna and Lola. I still have it, but I took it to my mom's house so I wouldn't have to look at it mismatched on my shelf lol 

3. Consider what they might already have: Especially if they read a lot. I once got a book that had come out the year before and I had read and loved it and had two copies of it already. I had to give it away! 

4. Consider what they like: My mom bought me the paperback of Scarlet because it has my blog in it. She knows I have the HC and the e-book and the ARC copy, but she also knows that's my favorite series and she knows I wouldn't mind having another copy! 

5. Consider what they don't like: In other words, don't buy something you think you'd like UNLESS y'all have the same reading tastes. (Disclaimer.... Amber and Cassi could buy me anything and I think I'd read it because they said so ha!) For example, I don't like most historical fiction, so please don't go there for me. Unless it's something like Wolf by Wolf and is alternate history, it's probably not for me. Ask my friends, I normally give them away lol 

6. Swag of their favorite things are normally good!: Some people don't collect swag, and that's ok, but most do and getting something for their favorite reads would be pretty cool. 

7. Find out what they already read: Maybe they check out a lot of things from the library or they're a blogger and they don't like re-reads. They might want their shelf space, so buying them something they've already read might not be the best thing. 

8. Find out what book store is their favorite: I know this seems stupid, but sometimes it can be a big deal to some. (Read that as ME lol) I'm a member at Barnes and Noble and getting me a gift card to there could be awesome. I don't pay for shipping and it comes in 2 days and it leave me more money on the gift card! I love it! If I get one to Amazon, I'd still pay for shipping, it'd be regular shipping, and I would have to use my entire gift card for it. 

9. Some books that reflect you (the gift giver) but still would be something they like is THE BEST:  I loved George and kept talking about it. It wasn't something my mom would normally read, but i could tell she was interested in it. I bought it for her and she read it in a day. I don't think she would have ever read it had I not bought it for her. 

10. Graphic Novels DO count as books: I have been begging my mom to buy me LumberJanes for a long time (I don't like her spending "big" money on me at Christmas) and she always says "Those are comic books. Don't you want a real book?" I keep having to tell her that those count and I really want to read them lol 


Now that I'm re-reading this, it seems like this is a Gift Giving Guide when buying for me! lmao But really, the best thing to do (when dealing with a blogger/vlogger) is to ask them specifics. My mom always tells me to go get it or she'll just give me a gift card lol

What would be things to consider when buying for you?!

Labels: