Class Act: MODULE 11- POST-APOCOLYPTIC & DYSTOPIAN


As y'all know, I'm a Library Science student at University of North Texas. This semester I have the pleasure of taking an AWESOME class called Seminar and Trends in YA! This semester the focus is YA books!  One of the things we have to do is read some books from a list my Prof has provided us and then make up a blog and post reviews or features of what we have read! 

MODULE 11: 
POST-APOCALYPTIC & DYSTOPIAN

Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1)




Blood Red Road by Moira Young
Published by: Margaret K. McElderry Books




Book Summary:     
  
     Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when four cloaked horsemen capture Lugh, Saba's world is shattered, and she embarks on a quest to get him back.
Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the outside world, Saba discovers she is a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba's unrelenting search for Lugh stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.

     Undoubtedly this was my least favorite module. I'm sorry, but I'm just not a dystopian fan. I never really have been. I read the Divergent series and the Hunger Games, but that's where it stopped. I think ti was because some stuff just seemed so far fetched. (says the person who LOVES fantasy and started reading YA because she read Twilight and Hush, Hush smh I never said it was logical ok lol) But anyways, after this election I just couldn't stomach anymore books about the world ending from problems with the government, so I think I just spaced out. 
    So this week while reading these my classmates and I talked about why we would or wouldn't survive in a YA novel. In order for me to survive, I have a lot of work to do. So, here's what I think I would need to survive a dystopian book:

Article 5 (Article 5, #1)Divergent (Divergent, #1)
     1. I need to beef up on the new government's laws. I DO NOT want to find myself on their bad side. There's some dangerous things they can do. Even if it's not always to me..... 

Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1)Feed (Newsflesh Trilogy, #1)
     2. Stay as far away from science/technology as I can. There always seems to be something weird happening. 

Ashes, Ashes (Ashes, Ashes, #1)Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1)
     3. Find out how to survive in as many different climates as I can! 

And last but not least, I'd have to learn to run more than 2 miles (I'm done for if I have to run for long periods of time) and of course, how to wield more than my taser!

What do you think you would need to survive a dystopian or post-apocalyptic book?
Do you agree with anything found here?!


Labels: