Ms. Marvel, Vol. 01: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson

Graphic Novel,  120 pages
Release Date: October 30, 2014
Published by: Marvel
Read from: November 11, 2016
Ms. Marvel, #1
Source: Library
For fans of: Comic books, Marginalized Voices, Superheroes 

     Marvel Comics presents the new Ms. Marvel, the groundbreaking heroine that has become an international sensation!
     Kamala Khan is an ordinary girl from Jersey City — until she's suddenly empowered with extraordinary gifts. But who truly is the new Ms. Marvel? Teenager? Muslim? Inhuman? Find out as she takes the Marvel Universe by storm! When Kamala discovers the dangers of her newfound powers, she unlocks a secret behind them, as well. Is Kamala ready to wield these immense new gifts? Or will the weight of the legacy before her be too much to bear? Kamala has no idea, either. But she's comin' for you, Jersey!
     It's history in the making from acclaimed writer G. Willow Wilson (Air, Cairo) and beloved artist Adrian Alphona (RUNAWAYS)! Collecting MS. MARVEL (2014) #1-5 and material from ALL-NEW MARVEL NOW! POINT ONE #1.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     Being honest I never was a fan of comics. Yeah I read those in the paper and those that were by the cash register at Wal-Mart that your mother wouldn't buy. (Oh wait, that was just my mom? Lol) 
     Kamala is a Muslim girl who's parents expect her to be nothing but perfect. She's to follow their rules and to do exactly as they say. She loves Marvel and even writes fan-fiction about her favorite characters. Her parents keeep her sheltered in her room and abide only by her religion. Kamala on the other hand has an itch for adventure and wants more, like going to parties she shouldn't be at. Sneaking out gives her the biggest change she's ever had and she's not 100% sure she was ready for it.
     The main thing I loved about this was the art. The art was so bright and colorful and I loved how it showed a marginalized family. I'm glad that this comic exists to show how amazing they are. Especially right now with everything and everyone being so hateful towards them. I'm glad they have something that shows they are superheroes. I also loved the art because it shows the more modern side of comics, with the thin lines and the bright colors. It made the pictures pop off the page more and it really impressed me.
     As for the story-line, I enjoyed it, but at the same time I felt it sort of dragged a bit. I get that this was her origin story, but for it to be so short the villain wasn't great yet and she was still sort of fumbling around trying to find her powers. I think I would have enjoyed it more had they showed more of her fighting or at least more of her getting used to her powers before fighting someone.
     This one comic changed my mind on them and I'm glad I was able to read this. (I had to read it for my graphic novels class!) The pictures and stoy-line together have definitely made me a fan. Be on the lookout for more editions of Ms. Marvel because now I'm HOOKED and have checked out the rest of them from my library lol
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , ,