The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon

ARC, 344 pages
Release Date: November 1, 2016
Published by: Delacorte Press
Read from: November 18-November 28, 2016
Stand-alone
Source: BEA 2016
For fans of: Diversity in Literature, Romance, Tear-Jerkers, Contemporary, Sparkly Covers, DEAR, Own Voices, Realistic Fiction, 

     Natasha: I’m a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I’m definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won’t be my story.
     Daniel: I’ve always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents’ high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when I see her, I forget about all that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store—for both of us.
     The Universe: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true?

*MY THOUGHTS*

    Damn it Yoon, this is the second time in two books that you've caused my eyes to "sweat." And now, knowing that it will be possible that I will cry every time I open one of your books, I WILL MOST DEFINITELY READ WHATEVER YOU WRITE. 
"Names are powerful things. They act as an identity marker, and a kind of map, locating you in time and geography.'"
pg. 16
     Daniel is a dreamer and Natasha is a facts only type of person. The difference between the two of them is staggering. But for some reason, the universe has made it so the two of them must meet and that then one of them makes sure they continue to be around each other. This story shows the true meaning of opposites attract. 
"Human beings re not reasonable creatures, Instead of being ruled by logic, we are ruled by emotions. The world would be a happier place if the opposite were true.'"
pg. 46
     The main thing I loved about this book was all the emotions it illicited out of me. On some pages I smiled so hard my cheeks hurt. On others I was swooning so hard I thought I might faint. And then at the end I was crying so hard because things weren't going the way I wanted them to that I closed the book. I felt some of everything in this book and i could tell then that I was fully invested. 
"But how can you trust something that can end as suddenly as it begins?'"
pg. 58
     I also fell for this story because of the characters. I loved that she modeled them after herself and her husband. It helped to give a picture of the characters. I also loved that they were so opposite from each other. It gives true meaning to "opposites attract" and I love that! I know it's something small, but it made the story even more cute. Their banter and their arguments weren't even bad because they were still so adorable together. 
"...I get a sense of deja vu, but instead of feeling like I'm experiencing something in the past, it feels like I'm experiencing something that will happen in the future. I see us in old age. I can't see our faces; I don't know where or even when we are. But I have a strange and happy feeling that I can't quite describe. It's like knowing all the words to a song but still finding them beautiful and surprising. .'"
pg. 66
     The romance was something special. I'm normally not one to fall for insta-love, but with this one I loved the characters so much I couldn't help it. Daniel and Natasha just had that much chemistry. They learned as much about each other in one day as most people learn about each other in a month. I think this may be why I fell for them. They learned everything so quickly because they WANTED to be around each other. They wanted to get to know each other better, but there were things stopping them that were out of their control. (See, this is why my eyes were sweating smh) 
"I don't believe in love. It's not a religion, he says. It exists whether you believe in it or not..'"
pg. 76
     As for the writing style and the imagery, Nicola Yoon has still got it. I LOVED Everything, Everything and I remembered all over again why when I read her newest book. Yoon has quickly made it to the top of my favorite contemporary romance authors and I can't wait to see what else she comes up with next. I think I loved this one more than her first, and if you know me, I LOVED that one! 
"What a difference a day makes.'"
pg. 330
     Yoon knows exactly how to write contemporary romance. She hits hard in all your emotions and of course doesn't hold back on the swoons. She keeps getting better with each book, so I'm excited to see what she comes up with next!
Overall, I give this



Labels: , , , , , , , , ,