Optimists Must Die by Susin Nielsen

Audio, 10 parts
Release Date: February 21, 2017
Published by: Listening Library
Read from: March 3-5, 2017 
Stand-alone
Source: Library (Overdrive) 
For fans of: Contemporary, Romance, Marginalized Voices, YA

     Award-winning author Susin Nielsen has written a laugh-out-loud and heartrending novel for fans of Robyn Schneider's Extraordinary Means and Cammie McGovern's Say What You Will.
     Beware: Life ahead.
     Sixteen-year-old Petula de Wilde is anything but wild. A former crafting fiend with a happy life, Petula shut herself off from the world after a family tragedy. She sees danger in all the ordinary things, like crossing the street, a bug bite, or a germy handshake. She knows: life is out to get you.
     The worst part of her week is her comically lame mandatory art therapy class with a small group of fellow misfits. Then a new boy, Jacob, appears at school and in her therapy group. He seems so normal and confident, though he has a prosthetic arm; and soon he teams up with Petula on a hilarious project, gradually inspiring her to let go of some of her fears. But as the two grow closer, a hidden truth behind why he's in the group could derail them, unless Petula takes a huge risk. . .

*MY THOUGHTS*

       The only reason I added this one was because I was struck by the cover. I wanted so bad to see what it was all about. When I saw it was already added as an ebook on-line, I hurried and put myself on the waiting list for it. I'm glad I didn't listen to what everyone else was saying about this one. I actually really liked it.. 
     After one tragedy in her life, Petula doesn't want to "invite in anymore. She does everything she can to make sure nothing happens to her or her family. She knows that the only ones who always get hurt are the ones that are happy about any and everything, or optimists. But one day she meets someone who changes her entire world. And she is TERRIFIED. 
     I really liked this one. And it was such a surprise. I don't remember hearing about this one until it had already come out. It was definitely unexpected. I loved that most about this one. It's always better when it's when you least expect it. I also really loved the characters! (Although I hated Petula's name...) They were all different in their own way and as a character driven reader, I was all for that! 
     I also really liked the story. It was a bit slow paced, but it was told in such a great way that I didn't care. It was about something so serious in subject, but with the comedic relief it makes the story. I really liked the way Nirlsen created her characters and I can't wait to see what else she has in store for us.
      Although this was a bit predictible, it was much more than what I was expecting. I liked seeing the characters and what they were able to get through. It wasn't much that I didn't like and I can definitely see mysef reading what ever is next from Susan Nielsen.
Overall, I give this

Labels: , ,