Never Let You Go by Chevy Stevens

Hardcover, 406 pages
Release Date: March 14, 2017
Published by: St. Martin's Press
Read from: March 30-April 2, 2017 
Stand-alone
Source: Library  
For fans of: Psychological Thrillers, Adult, Contemporary, Sparkly Covers

     Eleven years ago, Lindsey Nash escaped into the night with her young daughter and left an abusive relationship. Her ex-husband was sent to jail and she started over with a new life. Now, Lindsey is older and wiser, with a teenage daughter who needs her more than ever. When her ex-husband is finally released, Lindsey believes she’s cut all ties. But she gets the sense that someone is watching her. Her new boyfriend is threatened. Her home is invaded, and her daughter is shadowed. Lindsey is convinced it’s her ex-husband, even though he claims he’s a different person. But can he really change? Is the one who wants her dead closer to home than she thought?

*This book is part of the adult mystery/thriller genre! I have featured it in The Crime Scene as a way to feature the few Adult and New Adult titles I am beginning to read in this genre! There's not much of a difference, however the scenes may be more graphic and there may be more explicit scenes in some of them."  


*MY THOUGHTS*

     As someone who mainly reads YA, wanting to read this one so bad was different for me. I've never been SO interested in an adult book that I reviewed it here. But this one has definite cross-over appeal so it works lol (Well that's what I'm gonna say anyways lol)
     Lindsey Nash escapes from her abusive husband with her young daughter. Now years later, she has a teenager and her now ex-husband is out of prison, but Lindsey thinks someone is stalking her all over again. She knows it's him, but she needs the proof.
     I first noticed this book when it kept flying off the shelves at my job. Like I said, I'm not really an adult reader (as you can see from my YA/MG blog) but I DO enjoy an adult thriller from time to time. And this one was just what I needed. It had crossover appeal because there's no explicit scenes or anything like that, and there are some chapters written from Sophie (the teenage daughter's) POV. This made it easier for me to sink into and block out the world.
     As for a thriller, it starts out STRONG. I was terrified for her and I hated every person in the book except for two people. But towards the end, it kind of lost steam for me. I was NOT a fan of the ending. It felt rushed. I have to say I was hoping for a bit of a fight scene like in Enough with Jennifer Lopez, but it was so hurried it was over in 5 pages. I was also able to easily guess who the suspect was about 150 pages before the end. And then when a certain event happened, I knew I was right. Maybe Stevens wanted the reader to know who it was, but it took it from a 5 star to a 4 star for me.
     I also really loved Lindsey. She was SUCH a strong woman and she did anything and everything she had to do to take care of her and Sophie. Because of this, I started trying to fit in reading the book anytime I could because I had ti find out what happened to her. However, I was not such a fan of Sophie. She just seemed to not care about anything or take anything seriously and it worked on my nerves lol I know that's probably what Stevens wanted, but I wanted to smack her a couple of times to tell her to listen to her mother lol
     I can admit that this story really surprised me. I can see myself adding more Chevy Stevens books to my To-Read shelf since I enjoyed this one so much. It made me request about 6 other popular adult thriller/mystery books from my job!
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , , , ,