Release Date: September 11, 1999Published by: Speak
Read from: April 17-April 22, 2017Stand-aloneSource: LibraryFor fans of: Contemporary,Romance, Chick-lit, Realistic Fiction, YA
Colie expects the worst when she's sent to spend the summer with her eccentric aunt Mira while her mother, queen of the television infomercial, tours Europe. Always an outcast -- first for being fat and then for being "easy" -- Colie has no friends at home and doesn't expect to find any in Colby, North Carolina.
But then she lands a job at the Last Chance Cafe and meets fellow waitresses Morgan and Isabel, best friends with a loving yet volatile relationship. Wacky yet wise, Morgan and Isabel help Colie see herself in a new way and realize the potential that has been there all along.
My library has FINALLY gotten all of Sarah Dessen's backlist on audio, so I've been binging them as I get them in. This one was the classic Dessen book: More about friendships and lessons over romance and boys. I don't want to write a review for each one, so I'll do something cutesy for each one!
In Keeping the Moon, they all work for a restaurant/diner in town. I thought it would be cute to maybe pair the people with the type of food they remind me of!
I saw her as French Fries!
- She was hard and crunchy on the outside.
- Such a soft hearted person with good intentions on the inside.
- She was ok by herself, but she was best paired with someone else (Morgan), much like French Fries are better with ketchup! (Well to me anyways!)
I saw her as Pancakes!
- Everyone loved her.
- Her attitude was so light and fluffy. She saw the good in everyone.
- She's great by herself, but also best when paired with someone else (Isabel), much like pancakes are better with syrup.
I saw her as Onion Rings!
- She is definitely hard on the outside because of what she's been through, but she's really sweet, much like the onions that onion rings are made with.
- She's slow to trusting people, alot like people who don't like onions won't jump at the chance to have onion rings. (Unless you're my crazy husband who doesn't like onions unless they're cooked..... )
I saw her as fried pickles!
- It's a wacky food, but they're so amazing! Just like Mira. She's such a wonderful character, but she IS little eccentric.
- She's in a category all her own. (I mean really, what else is really like fried pickles?!)
I saw him as grilled cheese!
- It may seem boring, but it's actually the most amazing food (or in his case, person) ever.
- It's a comfort food and he sits and talks with Colie and makes her feel comfortable enough with herself to tell him her darkest secrets.
So there you have it!
I hope you enjoyed seeing my wacky ideas!
And I hope it made you as hungry as the book and writing this post made me!
What foods do you see as the characters?
Agree with anything here?
The Truth About Forever
Lock & Key
Along for the Ride
What Happened to Goodbye
The Moon and More
Once and For All (Out June 6, 2017)
*What I'm currently listening to right now!
So now that the countdown to Once and For All is on, I can hopefully get all of these read! Let's see how things go!
Once and For All by Sarah Dessen
Out June 6, 2017
Have you read any Sarah Dessen books?
Which is your favorite?!