Top Ten Things that will make me instantly NOT want to read a book!

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the BookishEach week we will post a new Top Ten list . Everyone is welcome to join. 

This week's topic is:
Top Ten Things that will make me instantly NOT want to read a book!

 1. Historical Fiction: I'm sorry, but I just don't get excited when I see stuff that says "Historical Fiction." Even if it has an extra element or so. But I can admit, I might hesitate on saying no IF there IS an added element to it. 

2. Sci-Fi: Don't get me wrong, I will read most things classified as sci-fi, but I will NOT make it priority. The last one I read and LOVED was The Lunar Chronicles. 

3. Ugly cover: Again, I know this is shallow, but I always worry that it will have a terrible inside like the cover. But then, there's the off chance that there is an amazing story under the ugly cover, like with the Perfect Chemistry series by Simone Elkeles.

4. Over do it on drugs/ alcohol: Look I know there are teens who do it. And I normally don't mind it. But when that's all they do, or that's all they think about or something, I just can't do it. It's more of a personal thing for me and I don't like reading about it. 

5. Great opener, boring middle, great ending: But most times I don't make it to the great ending because I'm so impatient. If Im not intrigued the entire way through, I probably won't finish the book. 

6. Bad characterization: Since I read so many contemps, I really rely on character development. If I can't connect with the characters, there's not much I can relate to.

7. Bad world-building: If I'm reading a fantasy and the world building isn't done in a way I like, I will more than likely quit reading it. As an author, you have liberty to make your own world. Take advantage of that. 

8. Telling not showing: SHOW me what you're trying to say. Make it seem as if I have a movie playing inside my head. By telling me there's  no flow to your words. 

9.  Confusion: I hate when I can't really understand what's going on in a book. In the event that I can't understand, I can't really promise that I will keep reading. I normally quit no matter where I am in the story. (I may also try the audiobook version, but I can't make promises ton finish.) 

10. Fluff: I am a huge fan of pretty language and great world building and more, but when it takes a page and a half to describe someone saying "I love you," then it seems excessive. And excessive I can't do. 

Labels: