The Marriage Lie by Kimberly Belle


I don't normally talk about the audio books I listen to because most of them are backlist, but I really want to start! So, I'm starting Listen Up to write short reviews on the books that I listen to! 

Audio, 9 parts
Release Date: December 27, 2016
Published by: Mira- Halequin / Blackstone Audio
Read from: May 23- June  , 2017
Stand-alone
Source: Library 
For fans of: Adult,  Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Thriller, Audio, Stand-alone


     Everyone has secrets.
Iris and Will have been married for seven years, and their marriage is as close to perfect as it can be. But on the morning Will leaves for a business trip to Florida, Iris' happy world comes to an abrupt halt. Another plane headed for Seattle has crashed into a field, killing everyone on board, and, according to the airline, Will was one of the passengers.
Grief stricken and confused, Iris is convinced it all must be a huge misunderstanding. Why did Will lie about where he was going? What is in Seattle? And what else had he lied about?
As Iris sets off on a desperate quest to find out what her husband was keeping from her, the answers she receives will shock her to her very core.

*This book is part of the adult mystery/thriller genre! I have featured it in The Crime Scene as a way to feature the few Adult and New Adult titles I am beginning to read in this genre! There's not much of a difference, however the scenes may be more graphic and there may be more explicit scenes in some of them."  

*MY THOUGHTS*

     The synopsis of this one drew me in as soon as I read it. When I finally got it in my hands I knew I was going to devour it. And that I did.
     Iris and Will couldn't be more in love. They've been married for seven years and couldn't be happier. But then one morning Will gets on a plane to a business trip and as it turns out, there's another plane that comes crashing down, killing everyone on board. As the victims are released, Iris finds out that Will was one of them. On a plane that was going a comepletely different place than where her husband told her he was going. This encourages Iris to pick up the pieces and find out what all her husband has been keeping from her. 
     This one started out so good. I just wanted to get in my car and drive just so I could listen to it. But after about 65% in, it just went downhill. But by that time I had already gotten to the end and I needed to know if my hunch was right. And it was. I was so disappointed by the ending that I remember wishing I could skim to the end but it was an audio.
     I was also reaally disappointed in who it was also. *SPOILER ALERT* of course it was the only Black man in the story. That was part of the reason I was able to find out who it was so easily. It was disappointing, but at least there were people of color in it? But yeah, needless to say, this made me not enjoy it so much.
     I also didn't care for how repetitive it became. It seemed like every third sentence was the same and it just made me want to roll my eyes the whole time. The main character made me roll my eyes too because she was so angry with him, but yet her actions were saying the opposite. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. It just all became so redundant. 
     The only thing I really DID like about it was the narrator. I felt every emotion in her voice. And she was the only reason I really got that into the story. It was nice to still get that into the story when I had someone else reading to me. Normally, without me physically reading it and doing the voices in my head, I don't get that type of connection. 
     This didn't live up to my expectations and that was disappointing. The publishers did an incrdible job with writing the synopsis because althouugh the entire book wasn't my cup of tea, the synopsis certainly did spark my interest.
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , , , , , ,