Top Ten Books I think Should be Required Reading!

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the BookishEach week we will post a new Top Ten list . Everyone is welcome to join. 

This week's topic is:
Top Ten Books I think Should be Required Reading! 

The Hate U GiveLittle & Lion
1. That Hate U Give by Angie Thomas: I don't really think I need to explain this, but just in case, this book is extremely relevant to what is going on right now. Some children may not know how to handle this situation or one they see in the media like this. I just want everyone to at least be able to have a discussion about this.

2. Little and Lion by Brandy Colbert: Another book I don't think needs to be explained, but again, just in case. This book features diversity in so many ways and I think it's important that teens can use this as an opportunity to learn more about the differences of people in this book and in real life.
The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and VirtueLucky in Love
3.  The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee: This would be for teens like me who don't really like history, but love fiction. It's a funny story and give a good look at the time period and location of where they are. 

4. Lucky in Love by Kasie West: This book would be perfect to teach teens money management in Economics. This one and Windfall by Jennifer E. Smith. Both of them would show teens not to be too trusting, when to stop buying so many frivolous things, and to keep their old friends closest. 

Aftercare InstructionsWant (Want, #1)
5. Aftercare Instructions by Bonnie Pipkin: This is a book to teach teens to stay protected, but if they go a differnet route, that's ok too.

6. Want by Cindy Pon: This book would be awesome to help teach students about the importance of keeping the Earth and atmosphere clean. 

Bad RomanceStalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1)
7. Bad Romance by Heather Demetrios: Plain and simple, this is one for all teens to read to show them that toxic relationships are not ok and they do not have to stay in them!

8. Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco: This one could easily be done with a lesson over the time peropid and place when Jack the Ripper came up. It also includes some really great notes from the author over what she changed for the book, so that seems would help to give them a better idea about the real infamous Jack the Ripper.

The HelpThis is How it Happened
9. The Help by Kathryn Stockett: I'm not a fan of books from the 60's set in the South, so I wasn't expecting to like this one very much. But when I finally read it, I fell in love. I hope that teachers can get teens to read this and learn so much more about this time period as I did. There are so many little nuggets of history that are in this novel, and teens might be as delighted as I was to find them!

10. This is How it Happened by Paula Stokes: This could easily teach them about bullying and of course online etiquette. 

What about you?
Any other books you think I should add to this list?
Tell me in the comments! 


Labels: