Solo by Kwame Alexander


I don't normally talk about the audio books I listen to because most of them are backlist, but I really want to start! So, I'm starting Listen Up to write short reviews on the books that I listen to! 


Audio, 4 hours
Release Date: August 1, 2017
Published by: Zondervan
Read from: September 6-8, 2017
Stand-alone
Source: Library (e-Audio through Overdrive) 
For fans of: Adventure, Poems, YA, Diversity 


     Seventeen-year-old Blade Morrison knows the life of a rock star isn't really about the glitz and glamour. All the new cars and money in the world can't make up for the scathing tabloid covers or the fact that his father is struggling with just about every addiction under the sun-including a desperate desire to make a comeback and regain his former fame. Haunted by memories of his mother-who died when Blade was nine-and the ruin that his father's washed-up legacy and life have brought to the family, Blade is left to figure out life on his own. But he's not completely alone: he's got the friendship of a jazz-musician mentor, Robert, the secret love of his girlfriend, Chapel, and his music. All may not be well in the Morrison home, but things are looking up for Blade-that is, until he discovers a deeply protected family secret that further threatens his relationship with his family and has him questioning his own identity. Thrown into a tailspin, Blade decides that the only way that he will be able to understand. 

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I'm not usually a fan of novels in verse, but with Kwame Alexander's name on it, I knew I had to read it. And I'm glad I did. The poems were so much more in-depth than I expected and it talked about some heavier topics that I didn't expect as well. 
     The number one best thing about this book is the music that's incorporated. Since I saw it was about music, I waited until it was released to get the audio version. It was definitely worth the wait. I was able to hear the singing and the different voices that the narrator used. I loved that the songs were actually sung and sung well. It was a great listening experience and I encourage people to try the audio version of this book. 
     As far as the story, it was a bit choppy and I didn't completely connect with the main character, but I think that's the price one pays for reading/listening to a novel in verse. But for the most part, I loved the message and identified with that more than anything. I haven't read many YA about books about adoption, but I'm glad to see more of them are appearing. 
     This book was a pleasant surprise. I'm not sure why I waited so long to read a book by Alexander, but I can assure you this will not be my last. 
Overall, I give this

     

Labels: , , ,