The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

ARC, 371 pages
Release Date: January 2, 2018
Published by: Little Brown Books for YOung Readers
Read from: December 17-20, 2017
The Folk of Air, #1
Source: TLA 2017
For fans of: Fae, Twisty Turns, Bombshell Endings, YA



     Of course I want to be like them. They’re beautiful as blades forged in some divine fire. They will live forever.
     And Cardan is even more beautiful than the rest. I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe.
     Jude was seven years old when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.
     To win a place at the Court, she must defy him–and face the consequences.
In doing so, she becomes embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, discovering her own capacity for bloodshed. But as civil war threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself.

*MY THOUGHTS*

    When I got this at TLA I had no idea what it was about. I just grabbed it because people were talking about it. Although it wasn't my favorite read, it was definitely an interesting way to start my 2018 reads.
Jude lost everything and was forced to move to the land of the Fae. There she tried everything to try to fit in, but with the fae, just teasing them does nothing. And that’s exactly how Jude handles it. But navigating the court isn’t as easy as she thought.
As a character driven reader, this one was not a favorite of mine. I didn’t connect with any of them. Being honest, I didn’t care about what happened to them by Book Two. Even the main character Jude wasn’t memorable to me. There was nothing that she did that just made me O_O I know you’re thinking, “But Nikki, what about all the twists and turns?”
Well, they didn’t really do it for me either. For the most part, I called some of them. And the one about the person, place, or thing, I just put two and two together and knew exactly what they were talking about. Granted I didn’t know the why behind it, but I did know what was coming. That took some fun out of it, but finding the depth behind it is what made it for me.
I know I’m the black sheep of this one, but I am not really a fan of the fae. For me, this was a good book, but still not one of my favorites.
 Overall, I give this

There will be no quotes to avoid spoilers towards the end! 

Labels: , ,