The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert

ARC, 357 pages
Release Date: January 30, 2018
Published by: Flatiron Books
Read from: January 22-28, 2018
The Hazelwood, #1
Source: Publisher
For fans of:  Magical Realism, Fantasy, Horror, YA/Adult Crossover Appeal

     Seventeen-year-old Alice and her mother have spent most of Alice’s life on the road, always a step ahead of the uncanny bad luck biting at their heels. But when Alice’s grandmother, the reclusive author of a cult-classic book of pitch-dark fairy tales, dies alone on her estate, the Hazel Wood, Alice learns how bad her luck can really get: her mother is stolen away―by a figure who claims to come from the Hinterland, the cruel supernatural world where her grandmother's stories are set. Alice's only lead is the message her mother left behind: “Stay away from the Hazel Wood.”
     Alice has long steered clear of her grandmother’s cultish fans. But now she has no choice but to ally with classmate Ellery Finch, a Hinterland superfan who may have his own reasons for wanting to help her. To retrieve her mother, Alice must venture first to the Hazel Wood, then into the world where her grandmother's tales began―and where she might find out how her own story went so wrong.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     With all hype surrounding this book, I was worried I wasn't going to like it. But as soon as I began reading it, I knew it was something I would enjoy. From the writing style, to the fairy tales included, it all screamed me.
"If Hinterland's real, maybe all of it's real. We could look for Neverland. Or Narnia."
pg. 187
     Alice and her mom are always running around the bad luck that seems attached to them. However, no matter where they go, they can't seem to shake it. But when they learn that Alice's grandmother has died and left her estate, The Hazel Wood, to them, Alice wants to learn more, while her mother does not. But then her mother is stolen away and the only thing she says to Alice is, "Stay away from the Hazel Wood." This of course prompts her to try to find her way there...

"Hell is caring about other people."
pg. 189
     The first thing I noticed about this book was the writing style. I was barely on page 8 before I had to comment on it. I easily got lost in the flow of her words. As the book went on, it got better when it got creepy. It was perfect blend and I loved it. It made for a book with great cross-over appeal. I can see myself giving this to the teens I work with, as well as the adults that are looking for something spooky.
"Cold hands, cold heart." 
pg. 196
     I also really loved the characters. Everyone was messed up, but in a story like this, it was expected. I knew there wasn’t really going to be anyone that I just connected to and loved because I mean…. Look at the situation lol But overall it made sense for them to be weird.
"You're both, and neither. You're a [...], but that doesn't make you any less true." 
pg. 250
     The only things I didn’t care for was the predictability and the weird ending. Most of what happens in the book is already told in the synopsis. That’s one of my pet peeves. Like why should I read the book when its already told me? (This one doesn’t tell you exactly what happens, but it does give you bits and pieces to figure it out on your own.) And then there was the ending. For all that happened at the end leading up to the climax, I felt like the “big fight” at the end wasn’t that creepy. I was just expecting more to come out of such a buildup that was THAT trippy. It didn’t seem enough for me.
"...there's no way out without first going in."
pg. 307
     But, everything was really wrapped up at the end, so I’m pretty interested in seeing what she’ll do to make this a series. I’m hoping that there is a book on someone, but we’ll see! For the most part, the book was good on its own, so I’m a bit confused on what can come from the next book, but we shall see. 
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , , , ,