Book to Movie Review: Love, Simon


PG-13, 109 minutes
Release Date: March 16, 2018

     Simon Spier keeps a huge secret from his family, his friends, and all of his classmates: he's gay. When that secret is threatened, Simon must face everyone and come to terms with his identity. (From IMDb)

*MY THOUGHTS*

     Everything about this was amazing. Can I just use that as my review? I laughed, I cried, and I swooned. All three of my favorite things. I've seen it twice, and I already want to see it ten more times. If that's not enough to convince you to see it, I don't know what is. 
     In the movie version of Becky Albertalli's book, Simon vs. the Homosapiens Agenda, Simon Spier is keeping a huge secret. Something that will change the way his family, friends, and everyone looks at him. He's gay. But when someone finds out and blackmails him, he must do what he can to keep his secret from coming out before he's ready. 
     First off, can we talk about the cast?! My goodness everyone was the PERFECT person for each role and I was so impressed with how they embraced their roles. Everyone was perfect at each of their roles. (Can we talk about that scene when he finally goes off on that person for doing that terrible thing? The entire theater at my screening started applauding. It. Was. PERFECTION.)  I'm not sure I could have asked for a better Simon, Blue, or set of Simon's parents. They were all amazing and I loved seeing them come to life on the big screen. 
     I also really loved the movie adaptation. Although EVERY single detail wasn't in the movie, I felt a good amount of them were and that was fine with me. The Oreos made an apperance, the most important quotes that needed to be there, the chalkboard wall, the Halloween party, everything that I wanted to see portrayed was there and I was thankful. This is definitely one of the best books to movies adaptations I've seen and I'm so happy for Becky that it turned out amazing. Dare I say I might even have loved the movie just a little bit more than the book. (And if you know me, you know I NEVER say this.) And let's just say the changes they made were very miniscule. They had what mattered in the story, so that was good enough for me. (As long as my favorite quote, "there shouldn't even be a default," and the ferris wheel scene were the same, the rest of the movie could've been completely different lol) 
     Lastly, my favorite thing about this was looking around the theater and seeing all the different people there in the theater. There were people like me who were by themselves, there were gay and straight couples, book lovers, older people, teens, and movie critics. This is a feel good romance for anyone, no matter what your background is. This movie is so important and its such a good love story that everyone will be drawn to it. 
     This movie is a universal feel good romance. I can't wait for everyone to see it and read it or re-read it now. Simon and his friends deserve all the hype their getting and I hope you all love it as much as I do. They deserve it. 
Overall, I give this

P.S. I have to go back and watch it AGAIN to go back and look for the Easter eggs. (Like the Adam Silvera and Becky Albertalli cameos, and the Adam Silvera books on his shelves.) The first time I saw it I was just watching it. Now I want to watch it to search for all the things I didn't catch the first time lol Is there anyone out there that caught them all? 

Labels: , , , , , , ,