Cadaver & Queen by Alisa Kwitney

e-Audio, 9 hr & 21 min
Release Date: February 27, 2018
Published by: Harlequin Teen
Read from: March 4-11, 2018
Stand-alone
Source: Hoopla (Library) 
For fans of:  Fantasy, Sirens, Magic, Pirates, Retellings, YA

     When Lizzie Lavenza enrolled at Ingold as its first female medical student, she knew she wouldn't have an easy time. From class demands to being an outsider among her male cohorts, she'll have to go above and beyond to prove herself. So when she stumbles across what appears to be a faulty Bio-mechanical--one of the mechanized cadavers created to service the school--she jumps at the chance to fix it and get ahead in the program.
     Only this Bio-mechanical isn't like the others. Where they are usually empty-minded and perfectly obedient, this one seems to have thoughts, feelings...and self-awareness.
     Soon Lizzie realizes that it is Victor Frankenstein--a former student who died under mysterious circumstances. Victor, it seems, still has a spark of human intelligence inside him, along with memories of things he discovered before his untimely death...and a suspicion that he was murdered to keep that information from getting out.Suddenly Lizzie finds herself intertwined in dark secrets and sabotage that put her life, and the lives of Victor and their friends, in danger. But Lizzie's determined to succeed--even if that means fighting an enemy who threatens the entire British Empire.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I have to admit I was most intrigued by this cover. I had no idea what it was about, but there was a skeleton and a crown on the cover and I needed to know what it was about. Come to find out, this is me falling back into my old ways of falling for the cover but not the inside.
     In this re-telling of Frankenstein, Lizzie has enrolled in a medical school that was previously only for men. There she comes across a the Bio-mechanics. She quickly finds out the one she meets isn't like the others. He has feelings and thoughts and so much more. She finds out that what she really knows nothing about all that's going on and she's in deeper than she even imagined.
     The main thing I disliked about this, was the fact that there was absolutely nothing going on during the story. Yes it was a re-telling, but at least the real thing has some sort of creep factor. This one was very boring. I found myself tuning out while it was playing and not wanting to even rewind it back to see what I missed.
     I did like Lizzie through. She was super smart and I loved how she showed them that a woman could become a doctor. I loved how she said she watched her dad and how she made his invention everything it was. She was very impressive as a character and as a doctor. She was the only reason I didn't DNF this.
     This wasn't what I was expecting when I started this, but I kept reading it in the hopes that it would change. It did in the end, but that still didn't make up for the nothingness that was happening during the story. I did like the characters, but they didn't make up for it completely. Others who like the original story may like this more than me, but for me, it just wasn't my thing.
Overall, I give this
There will be no quotes because this was read via audio.