The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw

e-ARC, 308 pages
Release Date: March 6, 2018
Published by: Simon Pulse
Read from: March 14-18, 2018
Stand-alone
Source: Edelweiss (I received a copy of this book from the Edelweiss and the Publisher in exchange for a just and honest review. This did nothing to influence my review.) 
For fans of:  Paranormal, Romance, Witches, Magic, Ghosts, Pretty Covers, Magical Realism, 

     Welcome to the cursed town of Sparrow…
     Where, two centuries ago, three sisters were sentenced to death for witchery. Stones were tied to their ankles and they were drowned in the deep waters surrounding the town.
     Now, for a brief time each summer, the sisters return, stealing the bodies of three weak-hearted girls so that they may seek their revenge, luring boys into the harbor and pulling them under.
     Like many locals, seventeen-year-old Penny Talbot has accepted the fate of the town. But this year, on the eve of the sisters’ return, a boy named Bo Carter arrives; unaware of the danger he has just stumbled into.
     Mistrust and lies spread quickly through the salty, rain-soaked streets. The townspeople turn against one another. Penny and Bo suspect each other of hiding secrets. And death comes swiftly to those who cannot resist the call of the sisters.
     But only Penny sees what others cannot. And she will be forced to choose: save Bo, or save herself.

*MY THOUGHTS*

      I have to admit, when I saw this book, I only wanted to read it becasue of the cover. I'm not usually one who likes books about withces, but I stuck my neck out and gave it a chance. It turned out to completely different than I expected and I really enjoyed it. 
"Everyone believes they're immune. Until they're not."
pg. 43
     Sparrow, Oregon has been cursed for over 200 years by the legend of the Swan sisters. Every summer they come back on the notes of a song and steal the bodies of three girls and then drown boys as the summer goes on. But this year is different. Penny meets Bo and suddenly secrets from everyone start to come out. But who can trust who? And will you really risk it? 
"It's as predictable as the tide and the moon. It ebbs and flows. Death comes and goes."
pg. 68
     The world building in this was superb y'all. I really felt like I was on the beach, in the parties, in the lighthouse, and more. Maybe it's because I from a place with a beach and I can recognize these things, but I really felt pulled into Ernshaw's story and really felt like I was in Sparrow. 
"Love is an enchantress- devious and wild. It sneaks up behind you, soft and gentle and quiet, just before it slits your throat."
pg. 177
     Come to think of it, the world-building was probably the reason I didn't mind that this was about witches. Ernshaw does a great job of providing details about the back-story as well as giving the details of how the sisters survive. You may not get the information all at once, but that's what makes the story. 
"Apparently, love is the worst kind of maddness."
pg. 200
          The only complaint I had about this story was the plot. In many places it dragged, but I decided to stick with it because I was still intrigued. But once it got to the plot twist, the story sped up and I didn't want to put it down. Granted the plot twist is after 200 pages and many of you who read it will have some suspicion, but it will still throw you for a loop. 
"If only love were so easily conjured, there wouldn't be so many broken hearts..."
pg. 236
     Lastly, this book was so well written I found myself highlighting so many different phrases and words. Ernshaw has a beautiful writing style that pulled me into Sparrow and kept me there until the very end. From the descriptions of the characters to the description of the places surrounding them and even the cats, I loved reading her words. 
"She belongs where the land meets the sea"
pg. 308
     I wasn't supposed to like so much of this book based on my past interests. But this book surprised me so much. I loved so much about it and really didn't have any issues with it. Although the plot could have moved a bit faster, I do appreciate the way in which she told the story. Thank you Ernshaw for creating such a magical story that made me want to open my mind to other books about magic and witches.
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , , , , , ,