The Chaos of Standing Still by Jessica Brody

e-Audio, 11 hours & 5 minutes
Release Date: November 28, 2017
Published by: Simon Pulse
Read from: May 4-14, 2018
Stand-alone
Source: Library 
For fans of:  Contemporary, Romance, Realistic Fiction, YA

     Ryn has one unread text message on her phone. And it’s been there for almost a year.
     She hasn’t tried to read it. She can’t. She won’t. Because that one message is the last thing her best friend ever said to her before she died.
     But as Ryn finds herself trapped in the Denver      International Airport on New Year’s Eve thanks to a never-ending blizzard on the one-year anniversary of her best friend’s death, fate literally runs into her.
     And his name is Xander.
     When the two accidentally swap phones, Ryn and Xander are thrust into the chaos of an unforgettable all-night adventure, filled with charming and mysterious strangers, a secret New Year’s Eve bash, and a possible Illuminati conspiracy hidden within the Denver airport. But as the bizarre night continues, all Ryn can think about is that one unread text message. It follows her wherever she goes, because Ryn can’t get her brialliantly wild and free-spirited best friend out of her head.
     Ryn can’t move on.
     But tonight, for the first time ever, she’s trying. And maybe that’s a start.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     What drew me to this was the author. I have read and loved many of the books that Brody has written. But after finally reading this one, I have to say, I can definitely see the growth and changes in her writing. This is my favorite one yet!
     Ryn's best friend died and it's all she can think about. But on the anniversary of her friend's death, Ryn finds herself trapped in an airport overnight. This is where she meets Xander. They swap phones on accident and things suddenly turn into a whirlwind that spins out of Ryn's control. Can she keep it together while still trying to cling to her best friend's memory?
     First off, I really liked the characters. Ryn was overcome by grief and she was so well written that sometimes it made me feel just as sad and lost as she did. I really felt for her and I sometimes frlt like I had to turn off the audio before I got too upset. And then there was Xander. I loved that he was the comedic relief. It made the story so much better and helped bring me out of the moods that Ryn put me in. 
   I also really liked the way the book was only set over 24 hours. It was so engrossing I didn't notice that it was only 24hours until the end. I loved the setting of snow and the busy airport with the cranky passengers and the holiday season. Having been in that situation before, I could definitely feel the panic that Ryn was experiencing, and it made me feel IN the story. 
     With this book being set in the snow gave me a nice break from the hot Houston sun, I fell into this book just as quickly as the timeline. I was late to this one, but I'm glad I finally read it. This is one I'm glad I didn't miss. 
Overall, I give this
There will be no quotes since this was read via audio.


Labels: , , , ,