The Brightsiders by Jen Wilde

e-ARC, 294 pages
Release Date: May 22, 2018
Published by: Swoon Reads
Read from: July 3-8, 2018
Stand-alone
Source: Edelweiss (I received a copy of this book from the Edelweiss and the Publisher in exchange for a just and honest review. This did nothing to influence my review.) 
TW: Emotional Abuse
For fans of: Romance, LGBTQIAP+, Contemporary, Sparkly Covers, YA

     A teen rockstar has to navigate family, love, coming out, and life in the spotlight after being labeled the latest celebrity trainwreck in Jen Wilde's quirky and utterly relatable novel.
     As a rock star drummer in the hit band The Brightsiders, Emmy King’s life should be perfect. But there’s nothing the paparazzi love more than watching a celebrity crash and burn. When a night of partying lands Emmy in hospital and her girlfriend in jail, she’s branded the latest tabloid train wreck.
     Luckily, Emmy has her friends and bandmates, including the super-swoonworthy Alfie, to help her pick up the pieces of her life. She knows hooking up with a band member is exactly the kind of trouble she should be avoiding, and yet Emmy and Alfie Just. Keep. Kissing.
     Will the inevitable fallout turn her into a clickbait scandal (again)? Or will she find the strength to stand on her own?

*MY THOUGHTS*

     The glitter, the purple lipstick, and the purple, blue, and pink hair on the cover was the reason I added this to my TBR. I didn't need any other explanation than that. I just knew that with a cover like that, I was going to love what was on the inside. And sure enough, it was exactly what I needed right then.
"I'm scared of screwing up and being called a "bad bisexual," even though logically I know there's no such thing. But fear isn't logical.."
pg. 29
     Emmy is a train wreck. Well that's at least what the tabloids say. But after the latest episode with her girlfriend Jessie, it looks like the tabloids were telling the truth. But Emmy doesn't want them to be correct, so she and her fellow band mates get together to help make the spotlight better for her. But then she "falls" onto Alfie's lips and instead of trying to stay out of trouble, they just. can't. Is this latest scandal going to help or hurt them even more?
"One of the many things we have in common is that we both wear makeup like knights wore suits of armor. I hope mine protects me from the arrows coming my way today."
pg. 52
     The number one thing I loved about this book was the representation. THIS is the power of Own Voices y'all. There is all types of representation and none of it was harmful or anything. Speaking from the anxiety and (once upon a time) questioning part of me, there is no amount of research that can teach you to be as relateable as this book.
"How did I not see it before?" I whisper to myself. Chloe strokes my hair and cries with me. "It's hard to see a storm when you're in the eye of it."
pg. 97
     However, I wasn't a fan of the characters. Well any of them besides Chloe, Emmy, and Alfie. Everyone else I wanted to punch in the face. As a character driven reader, reading a book filled with so many characters that I really didn't like was a bit hard for me. Especially since its a contemporary romance. I was expecting a happy romance full of swooning, but with the sad home life and her trouble with relationships, there was hardly any happy in this. I wanted nothing more than to reach in and squeeze Emmy and tell her she was worth it, she mattered. I hated that people were doing that to her, mostly because at one point in my life, that was me. But her's was on such a bigger scale because she was famous. A position I NEVER wish to be in. Too. Much. Pressure.
"Hey, hotness fades. Assholery are forever."
pg. 99
     And lastly, since we're talking about the characters, let's talk about the love interest. I'm so glad Wilde didn't make us wait until the end to give us some swoony moments. I loved the teasing and flirting here and there between them. Those moments were so sweet and they made the story for me. I was super excited when things finally started going good for them. And then I was so sad when it got to that one point that always comes in contemporary romances.
"People are alwaus going to have an opinion about everything- from my queerness tomy hair color. And for some, it will never be enough."
pg. 276
     I added this to my TBR on a whim because I liked the cover, and I am so happy that the inside was just as beautiful. Definitely something that makes me want to read more like it.
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,