The Perfect Mother by Aimee Molloy

Audio, 9.5 hours
Release Date: May 1, 2018
Published by: Harper
Read from: July 14-22, 2018
Stand-alone
Source: Library
TW: Kidnapping
For fans of: Thrillers, Suspense,Mysteries, Adult

     Vanity Fair calls it one of the most anticipated books of the summer. Soon to be a major motion picture starring Scandal's Kerry Washington.
An addictive psychological thriller about a group of women whose lives become unexpectedly connected when one of their newborns goes missing.
     They call themselves the May Mothers—a collection of new moms who gave birth in the same month. Twice a week, with strollers in tow, they get together in Prospect Park, seeking refuge from the isolation of new motherhood; sharing the fears, joys, and anxieties of their new child-centered lives.
     When the group’s members agree to meet for drinks at a hip local bar, they have in mind a casual evening of fun, a brief break from their daily routine. But on this sultry Fourth of July night during the hottest summer in Brooklyn’s history, something goes terrifyingly wrong: one of the babies is abducted from his crib. Winnie, a single mom, was reluctant to leave six-week-old Midas with a babysitter, but the May Mothers insisted that everything would be fine. Now Midas is missing, the police are asking disturbing questions, and Winnie’s very private life has become fodder for a ravenous media.
     Though none of the other members in the group are close to the reserved Winnie, three of them will go to increasingly risky lengths to help her find her son. And as the police bungle the investigation and the media begin to scrutinize the mothers in the days that follow, damaging secrets are exposed, marriages are tested, and friendships are formed and fractured.

*This book is part of the adult mystery/thriller genre! I have featured it in The Crime Scene as a way to feature the few Adult and New Adult titles I am beginning to read in this genre! There's not much of a difference, however the scenes may be more graphic and there may be more explicit scenes in some of them."  

*MY THOUGHTS*

    The very first thing I heard about this book was that it was being made into a movie. I had to read it because I really needed to know what the fuss was about. But by that time, everyone else had already heard of it as well. It took awhile before I got it in my hands, but when I finally read it, I was really underwhelmed. 
     The May Mothers met in a group online and spent so much time getting to know each other through emails and outings. But then one night, baby Midas goes missing at the same time they're at an outing. And no one seems to know what happened. At the same time they're looking for him, they learn that the same people they began to become friends with and "get to know," they realize they never really knew them at all.
     Ok, so the main thing I didn't like about this book was the plot. And by that I mean.... There wasn't one. The entire story is based on them finding the baby, but it's basically told in police interviews. And that got boring really quickly. There were SO. MANY. times I wanted to quit listening to this, but since it was an audio and I was listening while I was driving, it helped to force me to get through it.
     The other thing I didn't care for with this one is the person who it was. Ok, so this will be somewhat of a spoiler, so skip this paragraph of my review if you don't want to read the spoiler...... The person the author chose to be the person behind it all, sucked. My co-worker who also read this said it best... "the good thrillers introduce you to the characters, get them involved in the story, and then at the end you're like WTF?! This person was introduced twice and even though the secrets of everyone else was coming out, no one conveniently asked her about her secrets." And the character who did it turned out to be someone that wasn't hardly in the story. I get that it's supposed to be hard to guess who it is, but at least make it someone who I don't have to flip pages and go "Who was that again?" Because that's what happened in this story. 
     The main reason I kept going with this story is the fact that the story was actually pretty believable and had some pretty awesome points in the writing.The way they got hold of the evidence and the way the characters began to turn on each other was definitely something that could happen were this to happen in real life. Sad, but true.
     Though there wasn't much that I liked, it was still strong enough for me to finish it and give it a good rating. Not saying I'm going to buy all of her other works, but I will definitely keep a look out for all the newer things she writes. 
Real rating 2.5 but I rounded up!

Labels: , , ,