Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell

Audio, 10 hours, 13 minutes
Release Date: April 17, 2018
Published by: Atria Books
Read from: July 5-14, 2018
Stand-alone
Source: Library
TW: N/A
For fans of: Thriller, Mystery, Adult, Family, Suspense


THEN
     She was fifteen, her mother's golden girl. She had her whole life ahead of her. And then, in the blink of an eye, Ellie was gone.
NOW 
     It’s been ten years since Ellie disappeared, but Laurel has never given up hope of finding her daughter.
     And then one day a charming and charismatic stranger called Floyd walks into a café and sweeps Laurel off her feet. Before too long she’s staying the night at this house and being introduced to his nine year old daughter. Poppy is precocious and pretty - and meeting her completely takes Laurel's breath away.
     Because Poppy is the spitting image of Ellie when she was that age. And now all those unanswered questions that have haunted Laurel come flooding back.
     What happened to Ellie? Where did she go? Who still has secrets to hide?


*This book is part of the adult mystery/thriller genre! I have featured it in The Crime Scene as a way to feature the few Adult and New Adult titles I am beginning to read in this genre! There's not much of a difference, however the scenes may be more graphic and there may be more explicit scenes in some of them."  

*MY THOUGHTS*

    When I first started this, I almost gave up on it. It starts incredibly slow, but as you get closer to the end, you can see just how crazy all of them got. For once I let go of not being hooked right away and was able to get all the way through the book. And I'm glad I changed my mind.
     Back then, Laurel's daughter Ellie went missing. Ten years later, Laurel is still looking for signs of what happened to her. But then a man named Floyd walks into her life and she is smitten. He brings with him his daughter, Poppy. She is the splitting image of Ellie at her age and Laurel can't shake the likeliness of her. But as the story unfolds, Laurel gets so much more than she bargained for.
     I have NEVER read anything by Jewell before, but as a thriller reader, I found out she was an adult thriller staple. So I tried it. And I'm glad I did. At the beginning I wasn't really that into it. But I was glad I read it via CD audio because it forced me to keep reading. Because I read it that way, I was able to stick with it and I slogged through enough to the "good stuff." Which also happened to be the super weird stuff.
     As for the plot, it starts a bit slow, but being honest, it's just that way as a set up for the rest of the story. Jewell carefully sets up the stage and introduces all the characters to make you trust them all. She gets you comfortable, which in a thriller you know you shouldn't be. Jewell is a great storyteller and knows how to get her readers to look in one direction, when in fact, everything is happening right under their nose.
     As for the characters, I was not a fan of any of them. But I've realized that's how I am with most thrillers. I don't trust anyone. But everyone in this one was on the level of Joe from You by Caroline Kepnes creepy. Even the younger ones. They were all weird and all played a major part in the disappearance and the ending.
     Last but not least, I was not a fan of the ending. I really wanted to know what happened to a certain character. There needed to be a prologue or something. Did they ever wonder what happened? Did they ever feel the need to do something? I just felt like it was too loose of an ending. For thrillers, I like the endings to be more clean and tidy. I don't like to have to make up my own ending in my head.
     This was not what I was expecting, but it was still such a great story! After reading this one, I will definitely be reading more by Jewell to experience more of her storytelling and super strange characters.
Overall, I give this
Real rating 3.5 but I rounded up to 4! 
There will be no quotes because this was read via audio. 

Labels: , , , , , , ,