Book to Movie Review: To All the Boys I've Loved Before



TV-14, 109 minutes
Release Date: August 17, 2018

     A teenage girl's secret love letters are exposed and wreak havoc on her love life. (From IMDb)

*MY THOUGHTS*

      It's VERY rare when I can say that I enjoyed the movie a bit more than the book... But this time, this was the case. I liked the book, but the movie adaption was just so cute! I really hope they make the sequels!
     Just like in the book, Laura Jean is writing letters to her crushes that she thinks will help her get those feelings out of her head. She doesn't mean for them to ever leave her house... Until one day, they were all sent. And of course, it makes everything chaotic. Especially her love life. 
     Now I haven't read this book since 2014 and for some reason I never read the sequels, so I don't remember how true it was to the book. I do remember some of the main plot points though, and even some of the smaller, funny ones. (Like the fact that their dad can't cook Korean food lol) But I think that was good for me. I wasn't one of those who LOVED it as much as everyone else and I was able to go into the movie with a clear mind about it. But oh what a difference a movie makes. 
     The main reason I liked the movie better was Peter K. I did not care for him in the book, but in the movie he was such a sweetheart! He was everything I wanted him to be in the movie. Had he been like that in the book I think I would have liked it more. And of course the dude who plays Peter is adorable. He is super cute and he worked so well with Lana Condor! And of course, Lana Condor was amazing. Besides the point that she's gorgeous, I think she made a really great Laura Jean. 
     The best thing about this movie though, was the sisterhood portrayed in this movie. I have two sisters myself, (and I'm also the middle child) so I definitely related to how the Song family was so close. (And yes I know Song wasn't her last name in the movie, but I don't care. That's what I remembered her as.) I love when there is a strong family/ friendship dynamic in books or movies.
     I also loved the aesthetic in this movie. The sets were gorgeous and every single one of them made me not want to look away from the screen. The only thing I had an issue with was the fact that the wall in her room behind her bed was blue and not white lol But I know that's me being nit-picky. And all because it was that way on the cover of the book. 
     For the most part, this book to movie was a huge success. I loved everything about it and I really hope Netflix picks up the sequel. I will definitely go back and read all three books to prepare for it! Congrats Jenny Han, it was amazing!
Overall, I give this 

Labels: , , , , , , , ,