Jar of Hearts by Jennifer Hillier

Audio CD, 9 Cd's
Release Date: June 12, 2018
Published by: Macmillan Audio
Read from: July 26-August 13, 2018
Stand-alone
Source: Library
TW: Sexual assault, Death, Abortion
For fans of: Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Adult, Crime, Thrillers

This is the story of three best friends: one who was murdered, one who went to prison, and one who's been searching for the truth all these years . . .
When she was sixteen years old, Angela Wong—one of the most popular girls in school—disappeared without a trace. Nobody ever suspected that her best friend, Georgina Shaw, now an executive and rising star at her Seattle pharmaceutical company, was involved in any way. Certainly not Kaiser Brody, who was close with both girls back in high school.
But fourteen years later, Angela Wong's remains are discovered in the woods near Geo's childhood home. And Kaiser—now a detective with Seattle PD—finally learns the truth: Angela was a victim of Calvin James. The same Calvin James who murdered at least three other women.
To the authorities, Calvin is a serial killer. But to Geo, he's something else entirely. Back in high school, Calvin was Geo's first love. Turbulent and often volatile, their relationship bordered on obsession from the moment they met right up until the night Angela was killed.
For fourteen years, Geo knew what happened to Angela and told no one. For fourteen years, she carried the secret of Angela's death until Geo was arrested and sent to prison.
While everyone thinks they finally know the truth, there are dark secrets buried deep. And what happened that fateful night is more complex and more chilling than anyone really knows. Now the obsessive past catches up with the deadly present when new bodies begin to turn up, killed in the exact same manner as Angela Wong.
How far will someone go to bury her secrets and hide her grief? How long can you get away with a lie? How long can you live with it?


*This book is part of the adult mystery/thriller genre! I have featured it in The Crime Scene as a way to feature the few Adult and New Adult titles I am beginning to read in this genre! There's not much of a difference, however the scenes may be more graphic and there may be more explicit scenes in some of them."  

*MY THOUGHTS*

    
     Since this an adult book, I'm not  sure I would've given this another thought if it hadn't worked in a library. But this book has not stopped getting checked out since it came out, so I had to know what it was that was getting people so hooked on this. And I was not disappointed. 
     In high school Geo never thought that meeting her first love would also come with making the worst mistake of her life, but it did. her best friend was killed and her boyfriend was the person behind it. Geo knew what he did and decided to do nothing. Now years later, Geo is arrested and sent to prison. But there's so much more going on than what she thought. 
     The storytelling in this one wasn't my favorite, but it was ok. Geo kept flashing back and forth between the past and present and that made it hard to follow. Especially since I was listening to this... While driving. I had to rewind it several times to be able to concentrate a little harder. But it was still enough for me to fall for the book. 
     I also liked the plot twist at the end. I had all these theories, but as soon as the one thing was introduced, it opened up the plot to so many other things. And as it evolved, it got stranger and stranger. And then when the ending came up, I said "WTF" out loud in my car to no one. But then it began to get all over the place. 
     I was not happy with the way the author chose to tie up the loose ends. I mean, how did that person know about the others? Some of the things she chose just didn't make sense to me. And then when that other person decided to still be with the other person? Yeah it didn't make sense to me. I just don't see how that happened the way it did. 
     This book was up and down for me. I'm not sure I would recommend it with my favorite adult thrillers, however I would still say it was ok if asked directly about it. 
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , ,