29 Dates by Melissa de la Cruz

e-ARC, 400 pages
Release Date: December 18,2018
Published by: Inkyard Press
Read from: December 5-10, 2018
Stand-alone
Source: TLA
TW: N/A
For fans of: Contemporary Romance, Diverse Characters, Diverse Authors, Sparkly Covers, Realistic Fiction, Own Voices, Stand-alones, YA

      Jisu's traditional South Korean parents are concerned by what they see as her lack of attention to her schoolwork and her future. Working with Seoul's premiere matchmaker to find the right boyfriend is one step toward ensuring Jisu's success, and going on the recommended dates is Jisu's compromise to please her parents while finding space to figure out her own dreams. But when she flubs a test then skips out on a date to spend time with friends, her fed-up parents shock her by shipping her off to a private school in San Francisco. Where she'll have the opportunity to shine academically—and be set up on more dates!
       Navigating her host family, her new city and school, and more dates, Jisu finds comfort in taking the photographs that populate her ever-growing social media account. Soon attention from two very different boys sends Jisu into a tailspin of soul-searching. As her passion for photography lights her on fire, does she even want to find The One? And what if her One isn't parent and matchmaker approved?

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I tried y'all. I really did. But realizing that it took me 5 days to only get about 47% through the book, I knew then that this one just wasn't for me. I tried taking breaks and even asking around. But being almost halfway through the book and realizing that I didn't really care who she ended up with helped me realize I didn't care about this book much at all.
     For Jisu, I actually did like her. I liked finding out about her culture and looking more into the dates that she had to go on. It was interesting finding out these new ideas, but unfortunately me being so interested in that wasn't enough for me to finish this one.
     And as for the plot, I should've expected it from the synopsis, but absolutely nothing happened. I was so bored I even asked people on Goodreads if it was slow to start for anyone else. I had someone else who said it was slow. But unfortunately, it never went for me. I made it to 47% and it was literally EVERYTHING from the synopsis. I'd much rather read a book that doesn't tell me the story in the synopsis. Because of that, it was really boring to me.
     I hated that this one didn't work for me because I have been waiting on this one since I thought it was coming out next year. It sounded interesting, but I could've read the synopsis and then skipped to the end to figure out who it was that she chose.
DNF @ 47%


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,