Book to Movie Review: Dumplin' by Julie Murphy




PG-13, 1 hr. 50 min. 
Release Date: December 7, 2018

Willowdean ('Dumplin'), the plus-size teenage daughter of a former beauty queen, signs up for her mom's Miss Teen Bluebonnet pageant as a protest that escalates when other contestants follow her footsteps, revolutionizing the pageant and their small Texas town. (From IMDb)

*MY THOUGHTS*

       I first fell in love with Dumplin when I read the book about 3 years ago. It was some of the easiest 5 stars I remember giving that year. And now with this movie, I'm sure it'll be more of the same. 
     Willowdean is a plus sized teen who actually happens to be the daughter of a former beauty queen. Willowdean signs up for a pageant just to spite her mom, as a form of protest. But when others also decide to join her, she finds this revolution is bigger than just her. 
     I thought I loved the book, but holy crap I loved this movie too. The acting was ON. POINT. Danielle McDonald was a perfect cast for Willowdean and Jennifer Aniston really did an awesome job as her mother, Rosie. But I have to say, my favorite character was Maddie Baillio, or Millie. I know this was about Willowdean, but everytime she was on camera my eyes went to her. I found myself laughing/ crying the most when she was in the scene. Everyone's acting in this movie was superb and they most certainly brought the book to the screen!
       Just like with a book, I know I liked a movie when I experience multiple emotions while watching it. And this was most certainly the case with this one. I laughed, I cried, I swooned, and all of them within minutes of each other at some points. Even knowing how it would end, I found myself not being able to look away from the screen! It made me want to go back and read the book again. (And now seems like the perfect time since I need to read Puddin too!)
       And lastly, because she mentioned it on Twitter already.... Yes, Julie Murphy does have a cameo. And it is super cute. I combed the background of the entire movie and thought either I had missed her or she didn't have one. And well, there she was. All I'll say is what she said "Watch the entire movie." If you've watched it already and missed her, I paused it and took a picture lol I will send it to you if you tell me how to reach you! I had to save it to show my mom. (I book pushed Dumplin to her when it first came out. She works nights and ended up watching the movie before I did on Friday at midnight) She is no good with faces, but knows the names of the authors almost as much as me. 
       For anyone nervous about whether or not this did justice to the book, it most certainly did. A book that I loved, turned into a movie that I also loved. I can't say which one I enjoyed most. I don't think I've ever said that about a book to movie before. Definitely something I know for sure I'll be watching again..... And again. So happy for you Julie Murphy. They (and you of course) knocked this one out of the park. 
Overall, I give this

Have you watched it yet?
Do you plan on watching it?

      

Labels: ,