End of 2018 Survey!

THE END OF YEAR SURVEY FOR 2018! 




Number Of Books You Read:150
Number of Re-Reads:
Blahhhh 0
Genre You Read The Most From: Realistic Fiction/ Contemporary & Fantasy

1. Best Book You Read In 2018?

Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1)

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

A Blade So Black by L.L. McKinney

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?  

Good: Dry by Neal & Jarrod Shusterman

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?

The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo
(Well they haven't read it yet, but they will. I added it to my list for our library's teen event, "Tournament of Books" and they chose it!) 


5. Best series you started in 2018? Best Sequel of 2018? Best Series Ender of 2018?

Started: Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi & Little White Lies by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Sequel: Wildcard by Marie Lu
Ender: Obsidio by Jay Kristoff & Amie Kaufman


6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2018?

Rebecca Barrow 

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?

Anonymous Noise, Vol. 1

Anonymous Noise, Vol.1 by Ryōko Fukuyama

I haven't read a manga before, and since becoming a YA librarian, I knew I was going to have to start. This was the first one I tried and I actually really enjoyed it! 

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?

Bruja Born by Zoraida Córdova


9. Book You Read In 2018 That You Would Be MOST Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo


10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2018?

Tyler Johnson Was HereThe Storm Runner (The Storm Runner, #1)

11. Most memorable character of 2018?

Leah Burke from Leah on the Offbeat! 
(And Abby too if I'm being honest.) 

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2018?

This is What it Feels Like by Rebecca Barrow

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2018?

A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult 
&
Dry by Neal & Jarrod Shusterman

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2018 to finally read? 

Piecing Me Together by Renee Watson

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2018?

"Love is an enchantress- devious and wild. It sneaks up behind you, soft and gentle and quiet, just before it slits your throat."
-From The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2018?

Shortest:  
Black Girl Magic

Longest: 
Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7)

17. Book That Shocked You The Most

The Wife by Alafair Burke

18.  OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)

Portia & Tav (AKA #SwordBae bahaha) from A Duke by Default by Alyssa Cole

&

Arthur & Ben from What If Its Us by Becky Albertalli & Adam Silvera

19.  Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year

Prince Sebastian and Frances from The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang

&

Hanna, Dia, & Jules from This is What it Feels Like by Rebecca Barrow

20.  Favorite Book You Read in 2018 From An Author You’ve Read Previously?

Moonlight Sins by Jennifer L. Armentrout

21.  Best Book You Read In 2018 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure/Bookstagram, Etc.:


Where the Crawdads Sing

If you know me, you know this is not a me book. But I was intrigued by the "murder" that occurs in it so I requested in. So Although it isn't really something that I would rate 5 stars like everyone else, I am enjoying it and I don't like the way they are treating her. 

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2018?

Lennon from Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett

23. Best 2018 debut you read?

Emergency Contact by Mary H.K.Choi

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?

Aru Shah and the End of Time by Roshani Chokshi

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?

Save the Date

Save the Date by Morgan Matson
Never fails with Morgan Matson tho! 

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2018?

Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott

27. Hidden Gem of the Year?

The Girl You Thought I Was by Rebecca Phillips 

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?

Always Forever Maybe by Anica Mrose Rissi 
(Wasn't happy with her for a lot of this book... Crushed me to keep reading about her doing this)

29.  Most Unique Book You Read In 2018?

Ghost Boys by Jewell Parker Rhodes

30.  Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?

Dread Nation (Dread Nation, #1)

Dread Nation by Justina Ireland
I just wish there was more zombies in it!

Book-Blogging

1.  New favorite book blog/Bookstagram/Youtube channel you discovered in 2018?

Sadly, I don't think I found anyone new this year. 

2.  Favorite post you wrote in 2018?


3.  Favorite bookish related photo you took in 2018?

This one came in as a close second: A display I made up on a whim in the Summer Reading Program.... And it has been my most popular one to date!


This one is my favorite tho. We made a photo booth for The Hate U Give for Banned Book Week and it was really popular! I had to "test it out" and make sure it worked, so I took this picture. 


4. Best bookish event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events,  etc.)? 

NCTE!!!!! This was my first time going (and probably my last time since I'm not a teacher, but I went as a library representative for my library system) and it was amazing. I met some awesome authors and got some awesome books! 
 

And I also loved the Epic Reads Meet Up at Blue Willow Bookshop!

  


5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2018?



6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?

I've been trying to balance reading more than one book, and its actually been going good. I listen to one in my car and then one I read in physical format. But the challenge has been adding a third. I've tried adding one other as an e-Audio and it's been pretty hard, but I've succeeded for the most part. 


7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

&

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

Any Review

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

A reading bu-jo! I started something like this at the beginning of the year in like March, but now I have one for a full year and have spreads specifically for me! Here's some examples! 


 

   

  
 

  


10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

I told myself at the end of 2017 that one of the things I most wanted in 2018 was a librarian job in 2018. Little did I know I didn't have to wait long. I got a text message from a friend who had my current job before me. She said she was leaving and that was it. I knew that meant I needed to fill out the application as soon as it was available. So I did. With my brand new Lib Sci diploma and next thing I knew I had an interview with my library system's director. 

     While talking he looked at my blog and DON'T EVER LET ANYONE TELL YOU BLOGGING DOESN'T MATTER. This thing I started so long ago helped me get a job. He was impressed and said you can only promote the product if you know it. It may be small, but people are looking and using it to find information!

Looking Ahead to 2019

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2018 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2019?

Archenemies (Renegades, #2)

I didn't read this right away because I didn't get an ARC until after it was released from a trade, but when I finally got it in my hands, I had a dozen review books I had to read and I had to make sure I had some small quick reads to beat my Goodreads goal. So, with that being said, after I beat my goal for 2018, I can finally start on this one lol 

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2019 (non-debut)?

The Revolution of Birdie Randolph

3. 2019 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

Blank 133x176

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2019?

The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious #2) by Maureen Johnson 

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2019?

Read 175 books!

6. A 2019 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:

Two Can Keep a Secret

My first 2019 read and I LOVED it. It was just the book I needed! 



As always, this was so much fun! Thank you Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner for this amazing survey every year! 

  


Labels: