Kiss Collector by Wendy Higgins

e-ARC, 320 pages
Release Date: December 18, 2018
Published by: HarperTeen
Read from: December 17, 2018
Stand-alone
Source: Edelweiss (I received a copy of this book from the Publisher and Edelweiss in exchange for a just and honest review. This did nothing to influence my review.) 
TW: Cheating
For fans of: Realistic Fiction, Contemporary, YA

     When seventeen-year-old Zae Monroe gets cheated on by the only guy she’s ever loved, then watches her parents' marriage crumble, she decides to forget about relationships and turn the tables on the boys of the world. It’s time to take what she wants, and what she wants are kisses. Athletes, musicians, poets, and bad boys—their lips are all on her agenda, and it's time to collect.
     Zae proposes a contest with her friends to see who can kiss the most boys during spring break. But what starts as a harmless competition leads to a downward spiral she can’t seem to break free of. As family, academic, friend, and guy drama come to a head, Zae is forced to face the reasons behind her boy angst, and starts to wonder if she was wrong about the male race...or at least some of them.

*MY THOUGHTS*

      I always know its time to DNF something when I try reading it in two different formats or at two different times and I'm still not into it. This turned out to be one of those times. I chose this one for a fast read to meet my Goodreads goal, but I wasn't too interested in even reading it for that. 
     I really liked the fierceness they had where they would kiss whoever they wanted and that's is, but unfortunately, that's all I really liked. And even with that I didn't feel like I liked enough about the story to keep going. 
     As for the writing style, I'm all for second hand embarrassment in books... It's actually how I judge how much I connected to the characters. But with this one, it wasn't really connecting to her. I was more embarrassed and mad. And it caused me to put the book down and start another. But then after that, I tried picking it up again, but it didn't help. I still didn't want to pick it back up and by then I knew I was done with it. 
     Looking back at my DNF shelf, there's not alot of Higgin's writing I did enjoy. I'd still recommend it to my teens who may be looking for some female empowerment, but this just wasn't for me. Although this wasn't for me, I'm sure others will think it was a lot of fun!
DNF @ 35%

Labels: