Top Ten Books I'm Surprised Did/Didn't Work for Me This Year!

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish and is now run by Jana at That Artsy Reader GirlEach week she will post a new Top Ten list . Everyone is welcome to join. 

This week's topic is:
Top 10 FREEBIE
 I chose:
Top Ten Books I'm Surprised Did/Didn't Work for Me This Year!  

Didn't:
29 DatesDamsel

1. 29 Dates by Melissa De La Cruz: It looks and sounds like something I'd love. I LOVE diverse rom coms and I was all set to add this one to my favorites.... But unfortunately, it seemed like there was nothing happening in the story besides what was in the synopsis and it got boring for me. 

2. Damsel by Elana K. Arnold: I tried reading this in several different formats and was so intrigued by the feminist aspects in this, but it definitely didn't catch my attention. It wasn't something I fell into caring enough about. 

Sea WitchA Blade So Black

3. Sea Witch by Sarah Henning: I didn't care for this simply because I made it to about halfway and absolutely nothing had happened. I looked to others to see what they thought and they were all saying we needed to give it until about 60% until it got good.... I just can't wait that long. 

4. A Blade So Black by L.L. McKinney: I still haven't written a review of this one because I'm still so conflicted. On one hand I felt like NOTHING happened and it was an unnecessary death and just SO MUCH EXTRA. But then on the other hand, Alice in Wonderland has a whole lot of nothing happening in the movie too. 

Sky in the DeepAlways Never Yours

5. Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young: I STILL feel like I missed some like HUGE prequel or something with this one. I loved that it was dark and there were so many empowering women. All the makings for something I should've really liked. But I couldn't help feeling like I missed something. 

6. Always Never Yours by Emily Wibberley & Austin Siegemund-Broka: Another book from my favorite genre that I should have loved. Unfortunately, the main character's best friend was now dating her ex and that just threw me for a loop. I can see how some people might be ok with that, but I just couldn't do it. 


Did: 
Hey, KiddoDry

7. Hey Kiddo by Jarrett J. Krosoczka: I usually don't like or read anything that has to do with drugs and drug abuse, but with this one being a National Book Award Finalist, I really wanted to read it. It ended up only mentioning the drug when he was older and then focused more on the things she didn't do while on them instead. Surprisingly, that worked for me. 

8. Dry by Neal Shusterman: I was around when dystopias first made their appearance and when that happened, EVERYTHING was a dystopian. I stopped reading them until the fad died down. I tried reading a different one, but that one didn't work for me either. I had sworn them off..... Until this one. I tried reading it and surprisingly, it worked. I gave it a chance because of my fellow bloggers and I loved it too! 

A Very Large Expanse of SeaWarcross (Warcross, #1)

9. A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh Mafi: I was not a fan of her first series. *ducks tomatoes* And because of this, I wasn't going to read this one. But I gave it a chance and I liked it. I fell into the story and was stuck there until I finished. 

10. Warcross by Marie Lu: I liked the concept of this and I really liked the story, but for some reason I couldn't get into it at first. I finally got to the audio and listened to it and it was so much easier than reading a physical copy. I listened to the audio while I drove, and it forced me to listen to it, which was what I needed for this one all along I guess! 

What about you?!

Labels: