Our Year of Maybe by Rachel Lynn Solomon

ARC, 370 pages
Release Date: January 15, 2019
Published by: Simon Pulse
Read from: January 13-18, 2019
Stand-alone
Source: Edelweiss (I received a copy of this book from Edelweiss and the Publisher in exchange for a just and honest review. This did nothing to influence my review.) 
TW: Love Triangles
For fans of: Contemporary, Romance, Diversity, LGBTQIAP+, Coming of Age, Tear Jerkers, YA

     Aspiring choreographer Sophie Orenstein would do anything for Peter Rosenthal-Porter, who’s been on the kidney transplant list as long as she’s known him. Peter, a gifted pianist, is everything to Sophie: best friend, musical collaborator, secret crush. When she learns she’s a match, donating a kidney is an easy, obvious choice. She can’t help wondering if after the transplant, he’ll love her back the way she’s always wanted.
     But Peter’s life post-transplant isn’t what either of them expected. Though he once had feelings for Sophie too, he’s now drawn to Chase, the guitarist in a band that happens to be looking for a keyboardist. And while neglected parts of Sophie’s world are calling to her—dance opportunities, new friends, a sister and niece she barely knows—she longs for a now-distant Peter more than ever, growing increasingly bitter he doesn’t seem to feel the same connection.
     Peter fears he’ll forever be indebted to her. Sophie isn’t sure who she is without him. Then one blurry, heartbreaking night twists their relationship into something neither of them recognizes, leading them to question their past, their future, and whether their friendship is even worth fighting f r.

*MY THOUGHTS*

      Having missed out on her debut last year, I knew I had to get my hands on Solomon's sophomore novel. My teens at work kept telling me she's an author to watch, so I did listen to them this time. I just wish they had told me I needed to have some tissues for her books lol
"Peter and the piano belonged to each other the way I always wanted him to belong to me."
pg. 1
     If nothing else, I learned one thing from this novel. I get wayyyyyy too attached to characters. And this one was no different. I got way too attached to both Peter and Sophie. While reading this I cringed through the entire thing. So many times I was upset for one of them doing something to the other. Even if it wasn't with ill intent. This entire situation was such a slippery slope and I hated that I knew both of them were going to end up broken at some point. 
"He and the instruments understood each other, while I sometimes wondered if I tried too hard to make dance love me.."
pg. 1
     I also really loved Solomon's writing style. Although it was a bit slow at some points, I really enjoyed it. I also liked that she chose to write this in dual POV because I don't think it would have been the same just from Sophie or just from Peter. At one point though, I do wish I could have gotten into Chase's head too, just to see exactly what he was thinking. Also, I knew I would fall for this after Part I. I was in tears at my desk (I finished that part at work) and I was not prepared for the emotional roller coaster it would take me on. Solomon definitely drew me in with this story and immediately made me want to read her debut. 
"I was surviving - but not actually living."
pg. 24
     The only reason I didn't give this 5 stars is the ending. I agree with what Dahila said in her review, I wanted more. *SPOILER* We spent so much time looking at the havoc this friendship caused, but we don't get to see much of the good for Sophie. I was happy to see that Peter was happy, but I wanted more of Sophie's "after Peter" life. *END SPOILER* 
"Dance is a language to me, one that sometimes feels easier than English and uses my entire body to communicate."
pg. 72
     This book was so special and different from everything I've read before. Even though I've never read her before, I'm glad I listened to my teens. I can't wait for them to read this one too! At least I can warn them about the tissues.
Overall, I give this

     

Labels: , , , , , , , ,