The Accidental Beauty Queen by Teri Wilson

e-Audio, 304 pages
Release Date: December 4, 2018
Published by: Gallery Books
Read from: January 4-14, 2019
Stand-alone
Source: Library 
TW: 
For fans of: Contemporary, Romance, Snark, Rom Coms, Adult, Clean Romance, Realistic Fiction

     In this charming romantic comedy perfect for fans of Meg Cabot and Sophie Kinsella, critically acclaimed author Teri Wilson shows us that sometimes being pushed out of your comfort zone leads you to the ultimate prize.
     Charlotte Gorman loves her job as an elementary school librarian, and is content to experience life through the pages of her books. Which couldn’t be more opposite from her identical twin sister. Ginny, an Instagram-famous beauty pageant contestant, has been chasing a crown since she was old enough to enunciate the words world peace, and she’s not giving up until she gets the title of Miss American Treasure. And Ginny’s refusing to do it alone this time.
     She drags Charlotte to the pageant as a good luck charm, but the winning plan quickly goes awry when Ginny has a terrible, face-altering allergic reaction the night before the pageant, and Charlotte suddenly finds herself in a switcheroo the twins haven’t successfully pulled off in decades.
     Woefully unprepared for the glittery world of hair extensions, false eyelashes, and push-up bras, Charlotte is mortified at every unstable step in her sky-high stilettos. But as she discovers there’s more to her fellow contestants than just wanting a sparkly crown, Charlotte realizes she has a whole new motivation for winning.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     Sadly I don't read much adult romance, but if all of them are like this, I really need to start. I was originally drawn to this by the cover. I thought it was cute with the tiara, but then I noticed the book underneath that I was SOLD. And trust me when I tell you, the book inside is just as cute as the cover!
     Charlotte is all set for a relaxing time for a vacation in sunny Florida while she watches her twin sister compete for another beauty scholarship pageant. She is all set for visiting The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, because where else would she go as an elementary school librarian, when all of a sudden her sister has an allergic reaction that causes her face to swell. The night before the pageant! So what else could she do, but take her sister's place?
     First off, I LOVED the main character! Charlotte felt real to me and I have to say I was in awe of her. From one librarian to another, THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD HAVE DONE IT lol But I think that's what I loved most about her. Although she was terrified, she was still strong enough to be there for her sister. (Although I can understand that guilt played a big part too lol) I admired how close they were and how she was so willing to get out of her comfort zone in so many ways.
     As for the romance, it was clean (in other words, it didn't go too into detail during the sexy parts) and it was a nice break from other books in this genre. Don't get me wrong, I read them ALL, but it was nice to be able to listen to this at work without worrying to lower the volume lol It was a nice break from having over-exaggerated bits in it as well. I didn't realize that I really like the difference sometimes.
     The clean romance between the characters made for only a limited time that they spent together through out the whole book. But with the amount of things that Charlotte was trying to do and the more than realistic experience of being thrown into a beauty scholarship pageant, never failed to keep me entertained. Although I was really interested in where the romance went, I was ok with keeping him on the back burner while Charlotte found herself.
    This wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but it was exactly what I needed at the time. I loved seeing Charlotte jump through hoops and survive them and not be scared to move on to the next. (For example, I'm not sure how she made it through that Talent portion even as epic as it was.) It was an interesting story, and I hope to read more by Wilson in the future.


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,