Girls With Sharp Sticks by Suzanne Young

e-ARC, 393 pages
Release Date: March 19, 2019
Published by: Katherine Tegen Books
Read from: March 7-13, 2019
Girls With Sharp Sticks, #1
Source: Netgalley (I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and the Publisher in exchange for a just and honest review. This did nothing to influence my review.) 
TW: Physical/ Verbal Abuse
For fans of: Contemporary, Sci-Fi, Thriller, Series Starter, Sparkly Covers, Bombshell Endings, YA

     The Girls of Innovations Academy are beautiful and well-behaved—it says so on their report cards. Under the watchful gaze of their Guardians, the all-girl boarding school offers an array of studies and activities, from “Growing a Beautiful and Prosperous Garden” to “Art Appreciation” and “Interior Design.” The girls learn to be the best society has to offer. Absent is the difficult math coursework, or the unnecessary sciences or current events. They are obedient young ladies, free from arrogance or defiance. Until Mena starts to realize that their carefully controlled existence may not be quite as it appears.
     As Mena and her friends begin to uncover the dark secrets of what’s actually happening there—and who they really are—the girls of Innovations will find out what they are truly capable of. Because some of the prettiest flowers have the sharpest thorns.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     When I added this to my TBR I had no idea what it was about. I more into the cover than anything. Luckily, this book was super good and I found myself falling for it on page one. Although there were some things I didn't care for, for the most part I did enjoy this book and I can't wait until more people can read it.
"Shame is the best teacher."
pg. 42
     Innovations Academy helps show girls the way they should act.The boarding school keeps tabs on them to make good decisions and to obey what their Guardians say. But suddenly things begin to happen and Mena realizes what's actually happening in her school. The girls work together to see all that they can actually do. 
"The internet is rife with falsehoods."
pg. 47
        For the most part I did like this book, but there were some things I didn't care for. The number one thing was the repetitiveness. The entire Part One of the book was basically the same thing happening over and over in different ways. I know it was done to put fear into the reader and to establish that something was off, but it just got to be too much at times. By the time I was on page 300 I wanted something more from the book. Normally I would have DNF'ed a book like this, but I powered through.
"Be better next time."
pg. 59
     The other thing I didn't care for were the characters. I hated everyone EXCEPT the girls. If nothing else, remember that you can't trust anyone in this book. And I mean no one. I kept thinking that the only terrible people were the obvious ones, but the ending will leave you reeling. 
"Life is gonna dick me around time and again."
pg. 336
     This book also made me really uncomfortable. It literally made me side-eye every guy I saw. I'm sure it was written to make people uncomfortable, but I think pairing it with the same thing happening over and over....
"Only beautiful things have value."
pg. 81
     As for what I did like, once things got started, they really got going. Unfortunately the ending came too soon! The next book in this series is going to be INSANE. I can't lie, I was hoping what I'm expecting to be in the next book was in this one, but I can understand trying to keep us holding on. The wait for book 2 is going to suck. 
"Words create rebellions."
pg. 310
     I also liked the fact that even though this was science fiction, it wasn't so sci-fi that I couldn't follow it tho. That's always the biggest reason I don't care for science fiction, but it didn't feel that way and I liked that. There are mentions of what's happening, but it's not too in depth.
"You think only [...] know how to fight back?"
pg. 365
     I had a lot of feelings about this book and I didn't really know where to start. But after sitting here and typing them out, I put them to paper (my blog?) the best I could. I'm not sure it makes sense, but I tried. This is the first book by Young that I've read and I was not disappointed! 
Overall, I give this

Real rating 3.5

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,