Hot Dog Girl by Jennifer Dugan

e-ARC, 320 pages           
Release Date: April 30, 2019
Published by: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Read from: April 19-22, 2019
Stand-alone
Source: Edelweiss (I received a copy of this book from Edelweiss and the Publisher in exchange for a just and honest review. This did nothing to influence my review.) 
TW: Cheating (not from the MC), Death 
For fans of: Contemporary, Romance, Coming of Age, LOL, LGBTQIAP+ (Bisexual) , Realistic Fiction, Rom Com, Stand-alone, Summer Love, YA

     Elouise (Lou) Parker is determined to have the absolute best, most impossibly epic summer of her life. There are just a few things standing in her way:
     * She's landed a job at Magic Castle Playland . . . as a giant dancing hot dog.
     * Her crush, the dreamy Diving Pirate Nick, already has a girlfriend, who is literally the Princess of the park. But Lou's never liked anyone, guy or otherwise, this much before, and now she wants a chance at her own happily ever after.
     * Her best friend, Seeley, the carousel operator, who's always been up for anything, suddenly isn't when it comes to Lou's quest to set her up with the perfect girl or Lou's scheme to get close to Nick.
     * And it turns out that this will be their last summer at Magic Castle Playland--ever--unless she can find a way to stop it from closing.
     Jennifer Dugan's sparkling debut coming-of-age queer romance stars a princess, a pirate, a hot dog, and a carousel operator who find love--and themselves--in unexpected people and unforgettable places.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     This was one of my most anticipated books of the year and it did not disappoint! I have seen two other books with mascots coming out this year and I have been excited about all of them. This just happened to be the first one I could read and I'm glad it set the tone for the others.
"Seriously, what are the odds that a vegetarian ends up in a hot dog suit two years in a row."
2%
     Lou is hoping to have the best summer of her life with her best friend, Seeley. Unfortunately, everything she planned is not happening the way she wanted it to. She's still Magic Castle Playland's Hot Dog Girl, they're losing the park now, and she's learning her best friend isn't as happy to participate in her bad ideas as she once was...
"There are worse things in the world than being a hot dog probably."
8%
     As a contemporary romance reader I wasn't expecting to suddenly get a "mascot" fad, but here we are lol I really enjoyed this one and I hope to read Chicken Girl and I Love you So Mochi soon. When I think of contemporary romances I think of everyone trying to impress the love interest, but as a mascot it's not always easy. I say this from experience. Once upon a time I worked at this place (Moody Gardens in Galveston, Tx) and I was one of the people who had to follow some of our characters around to make sure they were ok. Those things are really hot, they do smell bad, and they always find a way to embarrass you, no matter if you're by your crush or not. Dugan must've been a mascot before lol
"What’s the point of sitting here being sad about the future when we could be enjoying what we have while we have it?"
27%
     Unfortunately, the Hot Dog was kinda the only thing I liked about Lou. I didn't care for her scheming and half baked ideas. Then she proceeded to tell other people what they were doing wrong. Even though she was not a saint. I mean "Do not throw stones" and all that. That was the only thing that bothered me. But other than that, she was really sarcastic and funny so I thought she seemed like me in that aspect.
"You should aim higher than someone helping you not die. That’s sort of the setting the bar pretty low, you know? Most people would try to help someone not die, if they had the chance."
28%
     I loved Dugan's writing style. I don't find myself reading and actually laughing out loud too often, but with this one I did. And I'm not usually a fan of puns, but there were a couple in here that I actually wrote down lol There are some really great ones in here lol Now don't get me wrong, this is
"Stop selling yourself short. There are people who would die for a chance with you, and you’re too busy mooning over a guy with a girlfriend.."
28%
     As for the romance, I was glad it ended the way it did. I shipped them from the very first page that this person was introduced. I hate that it happened that way, but in the end, I could see that the main person involved was forced to look at their actions and accept responsibility. It didn't make it ok, but it made it justified... A little.
"People might come and go, but giant roller coasters are forever. Or at least they’re supposed to be.”
41%
     I was looking at reviews and I could tell it was either people loved it or hated it. And of course, I fell right in the middle. (This tends to happen to me ALOT lol)  Lou wasn't my favorite character based on her actions, but as the story went on she grew up and that's when she grew on me. In the end, I hope everyone can enjoy this as much as I have!
Overall, I give this

   
     

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,